The Epcot International Food and Wine Festival is the perfect time of year to enjoy cuisine designed by Disney chefs, but have you ever wished you could get a little more hands-on? The Disney Family Culinary Adventure, a new tour at Disney’s Contemporary Resort, grants your wish by letting you work side by side with chefs to create your own meal.
This new tour is family-friendly and is open to guests nine years old and up, with a limit of 30 guests per evening. It starts at 5 p.m. at the Contemporary and takes participants through five stations, each focusing on a different area of cuisine:
- Garde manger: This is the French term for food produced in the cold kitchen. Here, guests learn how to make farmer cheese and from-scratch butter, and they also learn to plate a gourmet salad.
- Sushi: The Contemporary is famous for sushi at the California Grill. During the tour, sushi chefs teaching the art of rolling sushi and sashimi (note: this station may rotate with other experiences).
- Boucherie: At this butcher station, guests learn how to trim a beef tenderloin into the perfect filet mignon.
- Pasta: Learn to make tender noodles from scratch with just three ingredients (semolina, olive oil and egg).
- Patisserie: In the bakery section, which is sure to be popular with kids of all ages, guests get to play with chocolate, mousse and other sweet endings.
You also get to spend time with the chefs, asking about anything and everything food-related, before heading into the dining room to enjoy your five course meal. Adults even get wine and beer accompaniments. The experience is topped off with a special molecular gastronomy demonstration, and you’ll take home your very own toque (chef’s hat) as a memento of your dining experience. Don’t worry about juggling a camera; Photopass photogaphers will capture all the memories for you.
Call 407-WDW-PLAY to find out what days the tour is offered and to make your booking. It’s $175 for adults and $125 for kids ages nine to 12.