On June 5, 2015 HALL Winery, at St. Helena, hosted the Napa Valley Barrel Auction 2015. The 35th Annual Auction Napa Valley is the Valley’s most celebrated charity event. Since the inception of the Auction in 1981, the Napa Valley Vintners (NVV) has given more than $145 Million in Auction proceeds to Napa County nonprofit organizations.
The HALL Winery Bunny Foo Foo had more reasons for hopping as the winery grounds served as the backdrop to host eight outdoor Pavilions of food, fun and entertainment. The recently renovated Bergfeld Building served to host the Media Reception and few Auction Lots. However, the Winery production building was the center of attraction as it housed the Barrel Auction bidding. This sought after event offers the unique opportunity to taste many Napa Valley future wine releases. It gives wine lovers a snapshot of what is to come for vintages not seen yet!
This year the Auction showcased nearly 200 Lots of Napa Valley wines and memorable wine country experiences. Also, 120 Barrel Lots were available for tasting and bidding at the Napa Valley Barrel Auction. NVV made it easier to place a bid. In addition to Friday’s Barrel Auction and Saturday’s Life Auction, the E-Auction opened on Sunday, May 31, 2015, offering more opportunities to participate in Napa’s American Wine Classic.
Approximately 2,000 guests attended the Napa Valley Barrel Auction, which set a new record raising $1.9 million through the sale of the 120 Barrel Lots of Napa Valley wine futures. This year digital screens monitored the progress of the bids, rather than the famous manual wood boards. Though many attending were commenting about missing the famous sounds of wood boards as they dropped in the metal containers, there were no shortage of people paying close attention to who were the favorites.
Among the crowd palette pleasers were:
- Lot #102 – Alpha Omega 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon , Napa Valley – 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot and 5% Cabernet Franc. From To Kalon, Missouri Hopper, Las Piedras, Sklar, Sunshine Valley and Newton Vineyards.
- Lot #103 – Amici Cellars 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon, Missouri Hopper, Oakville – 100 % Cabernet Sauvignon
- Lot #104 – Amizetta Winery 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Reserve , Conn Valley, Napa Valley
- Lot #118 – Bounty Hunter Rare Wine 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Blind Justice Beckstoffer, Napa Valley – 100% Cabernet Sauvignon. From Beckstoffer To Kalon .
- Lot #124 – Chateau Boswell Winery 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer To Kalon Vineyard, Napa Valley
- Lot #126 – Cliff Lede Vineyards 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Poetry, Stags Leap District- Cabernet Sauvignon, with a touch of Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot
- Lot #133 – Ehlers Estate 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon , St. Helena – 100% Cabernet Sauvignon. Estate grown, from organic and biodynamic vineyards.
- Lot #139 – Freemark Abbey 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Bosche Gravel Selection , Rutherford – 92% Cabernet Sauvignon and 8% Merlot
- Lot #147 – The Hess Collection Winery 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon, Mt.Veeder, Napa Valley – 93% Cabernet and 7% Malbec.
- Lot #165- Mayacamas Vineyards 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Mountain Selection, Mount Veeder – 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Lot #166 – Atelier Melka 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley – 100% Cabernet Sauvignon. Unique hillside Cabernet Sauvignon blend created by Philippe Melka from the following wineries: Alejandro Bulgeroni Estate, BRAND Napa Valley, Davis Estates, Fairchild Napa Valley, Gandona Estate, Lail Vineyards, Melka Wines Moone-Tsai Vineyards, Parallel Napa Valley, QTR, Raymond Vineyards, Roy Estate, Seavey Vineyard and Vineyard 29.
- Lot #181- Parallel Napa Valley 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon , Calistoga – 100% hillside Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon. Barrel selected by winemaker Philippe Melka
- Lot #182 – Paul Hobbs 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Nathan Coombs Estate, Coombsville – 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Lot #188 – Realm Cellars 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon , Napa Valley – 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Lot #196 – Shafer Vineyards 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select, Stags Leap District – 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
No surprise so many Cabernets were the favorites after all Cabernet is the King in Napa. However, worthy of mention were the few beautiful 100% Pinot Noirs available too.
- Lot #101- Acacia Vineyard 2014 Pinot Noir Lonetree Vineyard Barrel Selection, Los Carneros
- Lot #193 – Saintsbury 2014 Pinot Noir Stanly Ranch, Los Carneros
- Lot #164 – Madonna Estate 2014 Pinot Noir Madonna Vineyard , Los Carneros
Among so many favorites, there is only one that gets the highest bid. NVV announced later today that this year’s honor goes to Phillipe Melka and the Atelier Melka 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley with the highest bid. Much sought at, his well-crafted wines have claimed much attention in the last decade. Not surprising his wine won the Barrel Auction.
NVV also reported raising over $15.8 Million in this year’s Auction. Though a bit short of last year’s $18.7 Million, it is nevertheless a great fundraiser event that will help enhance the health and wellbeing of the Napa Valley community.
“We couldn’t be more pleased with the weekend’s results,” commented David Pearson, 2015 honorary Auction Napa Valley chair and CEO of Opus One. “We’re grateful to our very generous bidders, to the more than 450 NVV winery members who contributed in some way to the event, to the hard-working steering committee that helped us plan everything and to our 500 community volunteers who came together once again in the spirit of families helping families for our community.”