Last Sunday many celebrities dazzled the red carpet at the 2015 Emmy Awards with many gorgeous dresses that were accented by professional makeup, hair, and nails. Celebrity stylists, manicurists, and makeup artists worked their magic to get these stars ready for the big day and they have shared their step-by-step guides for you to recreate the same looks at home. So just follow these steps below for your favorite celebrity, roll out the red carpet and show everyone you can look fabulous too! Visit www.lorealparisusa.com to find more information on the products used in this how-to.
Heidi Klum’s Nails
According to L’Oreal Paris Global Manicurist, Tom Bachik, “Heidi wore a beautiful yellow Versace gown and to allow it to own center stage, we kept her nails simple. She’s gearing up for a trip overseas, so we shaped her nails shorter than they’ve been recently – Heidi loves having gorgeous long nails – and polished them cleanly so that the look would last not only for Emmys night, but wear nicely into the next week or two.”
- First, Tom filed nails into a classic round shape.
- He next applied two coats of L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Nail ($5.99), allowing her natural nail to be slightly visible through the sheer hue.
- Tom advises maintaining a manicure using L’Oréal Paris Glow Renewal Facial Oil ($24.99); a drop on each nail 1-2 daily will keep nail color looking fresh and shiny, and cuticles hydrated.
Sarah Hyland’s Hair
Ryan Richman, L’Oreal Paris Celebrity Hairstylist, had to say this about Hyland’s look, “Sarah’s Zac Posen gown was sleek and elegant. I like to do the opposite with the hair so opted for a messy tousled wave. I’ve been doing Sarah’s hair for about two years so often times the challenge is to do something I’ve never done before. I have done her hair wavy countless times but never quite like this. This texture shows off her amazing cut and color and accommodated the look well.”
- First, Ryan prepped damp hair by spraying a generous amount of L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle BOOST IT Blow Out HeatSpray ($4.99), focusing at the root. He used a wide-toothed comb to distribute product throughout the hair and create a deep side part.
- Using a blow dryer and his fingers, Ryan rough dried the roots until halfway dry. He picked up a medium boar bristle round brush to finish drying each section – being careful not to over-smooth the hair – for added volume and a little natural texture.
- He next used a 1″ flat iron on medium heat to create a tousled wave, spraying L’Oréal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray Extra Strong Hold ($14.99) on each section before curling, and holding the flat iron vertically facing down clamp a 1″ section of hair at the base of the head. In a fluid motion, he twisted the iron and pushed downward to create a loose beachy wave. Ryan alternated directions of the wave as he moved throughout the hair for a beautiful tousled-texture result.
- To follow, Ryan rubbed a small amount of L’Oréal Paris Advanced Hairstyle TXT IT Hyper-Fix Putty ($4.99) into the palms of his hands. Focusing at the root, he worked the product through the hair roughly with his hands.
- Last, he used a bobby pin to secure the small side of the part behind Sarah’s ear and misted L’Oréal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray Extra Strong Hold ($14.99) all over the hair to lock in the style.
Naomi Watts’ Hair
The Wall Group for L’Oreal Paris, Cervando Maldonado had the pleasure of making Watts look fabulous for the evening. He said, “The inspiration behind this look was to create a tousled, modern updo with a chic, 1960’s twist.”
- To ensure high-shine, Cervando first washed hair with Advanced Haircare Nutri-Gloss Shampoo and Conditioner ($4.99 each).
- Next, onto damp hair, Cervando applied Advanced Hairstyle Curve It Elastic Curl Mousse ($4.99) to help create texture, as well as Advanced Hairstyle Boost It Blow Out Heat Spray ($4.99) both at the roots and combed through the rest of hair.
- He then rough dried hair and put Velcro rollers in to add volume. After letting the rollers set, he blew out the hair straight and smooth.
- After dry, Cervando sprayed Advanced Hairstyle Txt It Tousle Waves Spray ($4.99) for all-over polish, texture and movement.
- Next, he dried the hair with a diffuser and created small waves with a flat iron.
- Cervando then pulled Naomi’s hair back into a loose updo and twisted the hair, pinning as he twisted. He chose to leave Naomi’s bangs and a couple of face framing wisps out to accentuate her tousled look.
- Once secured, Cervando lightly misted Advanced Haircare Nutri-Gloss High Shine Glossing Mist ($6.99) to lock in shine, then sprayed L’Oréal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray Extra Strong Hold ($14.99) to hold the look in place.
Naomi Watts’ Makeup
Monika Blunder of L’Oreal Paris had this to say about how she was inspired for Watts’ makeup for the Emmy’s, “Naomi wore a beautiful Dior dress that was soft with silver beading and a touch of floral. The look we created to complement the dress was very modern and fresh with a 60’s twist.”
- Monika moisturized skin with L’Oreal Paris Youth Code Skin Illuminator ($17.99) and then started by applying L’Oréal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Makeup W-3 ($10.99) all over the face with a damp sponge and used concealer to spot conceal the areas that needed more coverage.
- Then, Monika worked on the brows. She wanted to create strong brow since the rest of the makeup was very soft and fresh. She used L’Oreal Paris Brow Stylist Sculptor in Brunette ($8.99) to create a fuller brow by filling in gaps and adding definition.
- For the eyes, she used the L’Oreal Paris Colour Riche La Palette Nude 2 ($19.99). She used shade #3 in the crease and shade #1 in the inner corners to highlight and open up the eyes.
- Next, she used L’Oreal Paris Colour Riche Eyeliner in Black Brown ($8.99) very close to the upper lash line to create more depth and to make the lash line appear fuller. She then used shade #6 from the eye palette to soften the line. To finish the eyes, she curled the lashes and applied three coats of L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Superstar Mascara ($10.99).
- For the cheeks, she wanted something healthy and dewy-looking. She used L’Oreal Paris Visible Lift Blush in Soft Peach($12.99) to create a soft flush on the apples of the cheeks. Then she highlighted the tops of the cheekbones and brow bones using the L’Oreal Paris True Match Lumi Liquid Glow Illuminator in Ice (12.99).
- For lips, she created a soft, peachy pink by first applying L’Oreal Paris Le Matte Lip Colour in Game, Set, Matte ($9.99)and layered L’Oreal Paris Colour Riche Lipcolour in Fairest Nude ($8.99) to soften the color.
- To ensure the makeup lasted all day during one of the hottest days in LA, she finished the look with L’Oreal Paris Infallible Pro-Set & Spray Makeup Extender Setting Spray ($16.99).
Naomi Watts’ Nails
Tracey Sutter, Cloutier Remix for L’Oreal Paris, said, “The overall inspiration for this look was to choose shades that stay true to Naomi’s classic red carpet style and subtlety complement her natural beauty. The result was a timeless, barley-there manicure look.”
- Tracey started with a dry manicure to ensure nail beds did not have too much moisture, which helps polish dry quicker.
- Then, Tracey shaped Naomi’s nails a natural round and tended to cuticles, followed by a long soothing massage on both hands and feet.
- Tracey and Naomi decided on L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Last Nailcolor in Passionate Petal ($9.99) together, as Naomi prefers a classy, sophisticated and very clean finish. Tracey applied just one coat of color and topped it off with the hue’s corresponding topcoat for extra high-shine and protection against chips.
Rebecca Rittenhouse’s Hair
Celebrity Stylist for L’Oreal Paris, Mara Roszak had this to say, “This look was inspired by the gorgeous dress Rebecca wore. Rebecca had an idea of what look she wanted and we both agreed that hair down was definitely the way to go, but we wanted to keep the hair off of her face. We went with a very clean and classic style with a modern center part.”
- After washing with Advanced Haircare Nutri-Gloss Shampoo and Conditioner ($4.99 each), Mara applied Advanced Hairstyle Blow Dry It Thermal Smoother Cream ($4.99), all over and then parted Rebecca’s hair down the center.
STEP 2: Next, she blow dried the hair with a round brush to create a very smooth look.
STEP 3: Using a 1 ¼ flat iron, Mara waved Rebecca’s hair from ear height down and sprayed L’Oréal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray Extra Strong Hold ($14.99) all over.
STEP 4: With a soft brush, Mara very gently brushed through the waves and sprayed again with L’Oréal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray Extra Strong Hold ($14.99) to hold the look in place.
STEP 5: Next, Mara modernized the look by tucking Rebecca’s hair behind her ears. She sprayed Advanced Haircare Nutri-Gloss High Shine Glossing Mist ($6.99) all over the hair for added shine.
STEP 6: The look was finished by running the end of a comb dipped in Advanced Hairstyle Lock It Extreme Style Gel over strands to tame any flyaways.
Gina Rodriguez’s Makeup
Carissa Ferreri of L’Oreal Paris, said, “The makeup look was mainly inspired by Gina’s dress — it was more dramatic from anything she’s ever worn.”
STEP 1: Carissa prepped and imparted a glowing base to the face using L’Oréal Paris Youth Code All-In-One Skin Illuminator ($17.99) and to brighten eyes and diminish dark circles, she applied L’Oréal Paris Age Perfect Eye Renewal Eye Cream ($24.99).
STEP 2: To achieve Gina’s smoky eye, Carissa used mainly grey and charcoal matte tones from L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche La Palette Nude in 01 ($19.99). She accentuated the outer corner of the eye using the charcoal shimmer shadow.
STEP 3: For a natural-looking brow, Carissa penciled in light strokes of L’Oréal Paris Brow Stylist Designer ($7.99).
STEP 4: To create full, dramatic lashes, Carissa turned to NEW L’Oréal Paris Voluminous Superstar Mascara ($9.99), and then lined the inner corner of the eyelids with NEW L’Oréal Paris Superstar Liner ($9.99).
STEP 5: Carissa mixed L’Oréal Paris True Match Super Blendable Makeup ($10.95) – shades 106 and 107 – in with a touch of L’Oréal Paris True Match Lumi Liquid Glow Illuminator in N201 Rose ($12.99) to enhance Gina’s skin with a beautiful glow. Using a mini sponge applicator she blended L’Oréal Paris True Match Lumi Powder Glow Illuminator in C302 Ice ($12.99) on top of the cheek bone for added luminosity.
STEP 6: Last, she applied L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Le Matte Lip Pen in 102 She’s So Matte ($9.99) and a touch of L’Oréal Paris Pro Last Lipcolor for a long-lasting lip.
Taraji P. Henson’s Makeup
Ashunta Sheriff of L’Oreal Paris had this to say, “Alexander Wang created an edgy princess gown for an edgy rock star actress. The dress called for smoky eyes with lots of liner and sexy lashes.”
STEP 1: Ashunta started with L’Oréal Paris Age Perfect Eye Renewal Eye Cream ($24.99) to ensure makeup didn’t cake around the eyes. She prepped the face with L’Oréal Paris RevitaLift Triple Power Deep-Acting Moisturizer ($24.99), a rich emollient moisturizer to combat dry skin.
STEP 2: To prime skin, Ashunta applied L’Oréal Paris RevitaLift Miracle Blur Oil-Free ($24.99) to Taraji’s face so complexion appeared smoother and virtually flawless.
STEP 4: Next, she used L’Oréal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Makeup in C7 ($10.95), which blended seamlessly to match Taraji’s tone, providing a flawless canvas. She then corrected minor imperfections with L’Oréal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Concealer($8.99).
STEP 5: To create a perfect, illuminated glow, Ashunta applied L’Oréal Paris True Match Lumi Liquid Glow Illuminator ($12.99) with a makeup sponge patting into the high points of the face like cheekbones, bridge of the nose, brow bones and bow of lips.
STEP 6: Ashunta created the smoldering eye look by using L’Oréal Paris Silkissime Eyeliner by Infallible in Black ($8.99) on lids and lashlines. She blended out the pencil on the lid, which acted as a base and locked in subsequent eyeshadow application.
STEP 7: Using her finger tips, Ashunta blended L’Oréal Paris Infallible Eye Shadow in Smoldering Plum ($8.95) liberally all over the lids, and layered in darker mahogany and cocoa colors from L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche La Palette Nude ($19.99) up to the crease and accented along lower lashline.
STEP 8: Ashunta then primed and coated upper and lower lashes with NEW L’Oréal Paris Voluminous Superstar Mascara ($10.99).
STEP 9: Ashunta finished Taraji’s eyes by tracing L’Oréal Paris Voluminous Superstar Liner ($9.99) into a thin, but bold, cat-wing that gave the look a slightly mod feel.
STEP 10: For cheeks, Ashunta used L’Oréal Paris Visible Lift Colour Lift Blush in Pink Lift ($12.95).
STEP 11: L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Lipcolour in Brazil Nut and Golden Splendor ($8.95) created the perfect nude lip for Taraji’s darker skin tone.
STEP 12: To finish and set the look for the long, hot evening, Ashunta spritzed L’Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Spray & Set Makeup Extender Setting Spray ($16.99) all over the face.