Fritters are basically anything that is dipped into a batter and fried. Corn is the most popular addition. Whenever you drive down a highway in the south there are corn fields for miles and miles. So let’s take advantage of this abundant supply of sweet corn.
Did you know that July 16th is National Corn Fritters Day? Well, there’s just about a day for every type of food. Corn fritters are a traditional Southern favorite. They are found in most restaurants who offer buffet style dinners as well as a side dish to a la carte entrees.
Corn fritters are delicious, sweet and filling. Fritters are great to eat alone or as a side at any dinner. Here is a recipe that will make you hungry while celebrating National Corn Fritters Day!
- 3 cups of kernel corn
- 4 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix the eggs, water and lemon juice together.
- Add the corn and parsley into the egg bowl and stir until everything is coated.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the egg mixture and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Now you have your corn fritter batter.
- Form small patties and cook over a medium high heat in vegetable or peanut oil.
- Fry until fritters get golden in color or lightly browned.
- Remove fritter from oil and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Once the excess oil has absorbed into the towel; transfer onto a serving platter.
- These fritter are best eaten when hot.
- The best corn is that right off the cob. If time is an issue a good name brand frozen kernel corn can be used.
- White shoe peg corn is great to use too. Or, combine the yellow and white kernels together for a sweeter tasting fritter.
- If you like spicy, you can also add a little flare. Chop up 3 green onions/scallions very fine to add to the mixture. You may want to add a ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper or a few shakes of tobacco sauce.
- Corn fritters are usually served with catfish filets. Also a great side dish with baked chicken.
- An interesting idea would be to top off a veggie or hamburger with one fritter. You get the best of both in the same bite.
- A change of pace:
- Corn fritters are so good all by themselves. Why change a good thing? Well, now that you asked the solution is simple. Sometimes eating the same thing the same way can get a little boring. If your family really loves corn fritters here are some ideas on how to make a favorite a new favorite with a little topping or dipping on the side.
- Add dollop of sour cream on top.
- Dip the fritters into some marinara sauce, ranch dressing or salsa.
- Maple syrup or honey can also be set aside to dip into. These two go over well with children.
- Then there is always a light sprinkle of powdered sugar that can be added to the top too.