If you are looking for a sensational breakfast or a light and flavorful dessert this breakfast recipe is the combination of both worlds. French toast with the taste and aroma of vanilla and almonds created with cream cheese takes on a whole new flavor sensation. This recipe transforms plain French toast and turns it into bread slices that take on the taste of cheesecake. If you are craving cheesecake and don’t want all those calories prepare a stack of French toast cheesecake triangles to tame that yen. Wrap up the extra slices before they are garnished with plastic wrap and freeze them for another time.
French toast cheesecake triangles are a wonderful breakfast during the summer, throughout strawberry season, on Mother’s Day, Valentine’s Day, for a wedding anniversary breakfast treat, Christmas morning or just about any other special occasion you can come up with. Whoever you’ll be preparing them for will appreciate the special treatment they are receiving whether they are made for breakfast or dessert after a family gathering, intimate dinner or for no reason at all.
- 8 slices of Texas toast
- 3 ounces of softened cream cheese
- ½ cup of half and half
- 2 ½ tablespoons of confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of almond extract
- 4 tablespoons of butter, divided
- 3 eggs
- 7 tablespoons of strawberry preserves, divided
- Maple syrup
- Sliced strawberries
- Whipped cream
- In a small mixing bowl mix together the softened cream cheese, 3 tablespoons of strawberry preserves and the confectioner’s sugar.
- Spread the cheese mixture evenly across four of the bread slices. (One side only)
- Cover the cheese with the additional bread slices. (Forming a sandwich)
- Now in another bowl mix together the half and half, granulated sugar and the eggs.
- Add the extracts and stir once more.
- Set a large frying pan or griddle on the stove. Adjust the heat to medium or a just slightly lower.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the frying pan.
- As the butter starts to melt, dip the cheese sandwiches into the egg mixture. Making sure both sides get dipped.
- Place the sandwiches on the griddle and cook for 2-3 minutes per side. The Texas toast should be golden brown on the underside.
- Add the remainder of the butter to the pan and flip the cheese sandwiches to cook on the other side.
- When both sides are golden in color shut the stove. Then transfer the cheese sandwiches to a platter.
- Slice the sandwiches in half and angle them on individual plates.
- Add one tablespoon of strawberry preserves across the sandwich halves.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream across the French toast.
- Pour on a little maple syrup.
- Top with sliced strawberries and you are ready to serve.