After taking a weekend (May 2-3) off, action will resume Saturday (May 9) in the 81st annual Florida State Bowling Association’s Open Championship Tournament in Gainesville, and as the result of Week 3 (April 25-26), there were leaderboard changes in half of the eight events.
The updated current, unofficial standings posted Monday (May 4) indicate that Jeff Edens Pro Shop of Ocala is now No. 1 in five player handicap pinfall with 3,590, the duo of Presley Gissendanner and Michael Preston of Gainesville now leads in both handicap (1,582) and scratch (1,499) doubles, and Nick Wagner of Bradenton sets the pace in handicap singles (825).
Michael Kaczka of Key Largo, who had been either first or second in every event after Week 2, remains dominant in scratch competition, leading in three events while being No. 3 in the other. The 49-year-old righthander has the top scratch all-events total with 2,229 (a 247.6 average), and he also leads scratch singles (784) and is a member of the Mike’s Pro Shop #3 team from Miami that sets the scratch team pace (3,319). He rolled 794 in doubles with Julian Harradon Jr. of Miami, and that duo is third with a score of 1,428.
“I matched up right from the start,” said Kaczka, who entered with a 235 average, “and I was using the right ball, my timing was decent, and the carry was great.” And single-game scores of 280 in both singles and doubles helped him along the way.
Arthur Fulbright of Gainesville maintained his advantage in handicap all-events with a nine-game score of 2,354, and he fell to the No. 3 position in handicap singles with 818.
Sandra Dickerman and Dan Dickerman of Bradenton fell to the runner-up spot behind Gissendanner and Preston in handicap doubles, and in addition to his leadership in handicap singles, Bradenton’s Wagner is sixth in scratch singles at 704.
Three of 11 tournament weekends have now been completed, and the event will continue each weekend through June 27-28. The current top three in each of the eight event classifications:
- TEAM HANDICAP: 1, Jeff Edens Pro Shop (Ocala) 3,590; 2, Splitterz (Gainesville) 3,538; 3, Family & Friends (Tampa) 3,536.
- TEAM SCRATCH: 1, Mike’s Pro Shop #3 (Miami) 3,319; 2, Bowler Mart #2 (Hernando County) 3,294; 3, Mike’s Pro Shop #1 (Miami) 3,248.
- DOUBLES HANDICAP: 1, Presley Gissendanner and Michael Preston (Gainesville) 1,582; 2, Sandra Dickerman and Dan Dickerman (Bradenton) 1,528; 3, Donna Minosh and Charles Smith (Suncoast) 1,517.
- DOUBLES SCRATCH: 1, Presley Gissendanner and Michael Preston (Gainesville) 1,499; 2, Sean Mattison and Michael Hamilton (Miami) 1,428; 3, Mike Kaczka and Julian Harradon Jr. (Miami) 1,428.
- SINGLES HANDICAP: 1, Nick Wagner (Bradenton) 825; 2, Bill Walker (Gainesville) 822; 3, Arthur Fulbright (Gainesville) 818.
- SINGLES SCRATCH: 1, Mike Kaczka (Miami) 784, 2, Darren Franks (Orlando) 726; 3, Mike Greene (Miami) 712.
- ALL-EVENTS HANDICAP: 1, Arthur Fulbright (Gainesville) 2,354; 2, Anthony Thompson (Greater Citrus) 2,302; 3, Richard Nakabayashi (Orlando) 2,294.
- ALL-EVENTS SCRATCH: 1, Mike Kaczka (Miami) 2,229; 2, Al Pumphrey (Marianna) 2,089; 3, Joseph May (Suncoast) 2,082.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald’s atombash.com bowling columns — free of charge — by clicking on “Subscribe To Author” near the bottom of the article, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]