If the words “thrift store” conjure up thoughts of outdated polyester, bedazzled denim and unidentifiable stains then you are not alone. Thrifting can be a daunting experience. Many shy away from second hand stores because of negative preconceived ideas or they just don’t know where to start, but they are missing out. Anyone can have a successful thrifting trip with five simple tips.
- Make a List. Before you even head to the thrift store make a list of things that you need. Trying to tackle the chaotic mess of a thrift store can quickly become overwhelming, but if you know exactly what you want it will be easier to navigate. Go straight to the most important sections first and find what you need then you will be more relaxed as you peruse the rest of the store.
- Have an Open Mind. Thrift stores are great places to find unique, one of a kind items. It’s the perfect time to experiment with pieces and trends that interest you, but that you would never pay full price for. You may be surprised at what you end up liking when you shop with an open mind.
- Hold on to “Maybe” Items. Maybe items are things that you can’t decide if you want to buy. At a thrift store no two things are alike and inventory moves fast. Keep your maybe items with you because if you don’t someone else might get them. You can always reassess the items you’ve chosen at the end of your shopping trip and put unwanted pieces back before you check out.
- Check Items for Damages. Many items at the thrift store are damaged so check for stains and tears in clothing and damage to other items. Unless you are a sewing whiz or work at a dry cleaners do not buy these items. Usually they never get fixed and are a waste of money. One exception is quality 100% leather goods. These are expensive and can usually be restored to good condition, especially by a professional.
- Do not be Disappointed if you Don’t Find Anything. Thrfting can be a fun and positive experience weather you make a purchase or not. Do not be disappointed if you don’t find anything. Thrift stores turn over inventory often, sometimes even daily. If you don’t find what you are looking for, try again another day.
Thrift stores can be a treasure trove of interesting and unique items. Next time you head to the thrift store remember these simple tips. Doing so will save you time, money and make thrifting an enjoyable experience.