This was always one of my favorite salad recipes, and then I added a couple of super foods. Now it is not only delicious, but incredibly easy to incorporate into your healthy lifestyle.
This easy, heart healthy recipe can be prepped in advance, making it a favorite for holiday events, pot lucks, or other social gatherings. Although this makes a terrific summer salad when using fresh berries, frozen or seasonal fruit can be added all year round.
FOR THE SALAD ~
Ingredients for the Berry Buttermilk Super-Salad
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 4 medium carrots, cut into thin strips
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 small head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
Directions for the Berry Buttermilk Super-Salad
- In a large bowl, toss together the radishes, carrots, and kale.
- Add the cabbage and mix thoroughly.
- Mix the fruit with the dressing (full recipe provided below) and allow to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with remaining dressing.
Health benefits of this recipe:
• Eating more raw vegetables provide that ‘crunch’ we tend to crave. By having a healthy dip or dressing, it provides additional flavor or a creamy consistency that we all love.
• To drizzle your favorite dressing over some fresh, organic mixed greens or chopped veggies can encourage the additional nutrients and vitamins you may be lacking in your current diet.
• Reducing sugar cravings for those battling high blood sugar and diabetes is always a concern due to the added (and hidden) sugars found in bottled dressings.
FOR THE DRESSING ~
Ingredients for Berry Buttermilk Dressing
- 6 T. apple cider vinegar
- ¼ t. Tabasco or favorite hot sauce (I like Sirach)
- ½ t. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 T. grated onion
- 1 minced clove garlic
- ½ grated Granny Smith apple
- 2 T. Honey (optional)
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 6 T. sour cream
- 6 T. mayonnaise
- 3 T. tarragon, chopped fine
- ½ t. salt
- ¼ t. pepper
Directions for Berry Buttermilk Dressing
- In a large Mason jar with seal-tight lid, combine first six ingredients.
- Tighten the lid onto the container and shake vigorously.
- Add *buttermilk, sour cream, mayo, tarragon, salt and pepper.
- Add honey to taste.
• This heart healthy recipe can be used for marinades, dipping sauces, glazes, or tasty dressings.
• If preparing in advance, mix the liquids separately from *buttermilk mixture. Combine the two prior to serving the salad.
• Pairing homemade salad dressings up with vegetables and salads is a way to increase the amount of greens into our diets.
• This dressing will keep for 7 – 10 days in the refrigerator. Best stored in a glass jar.
• Always consult your physician if you have special diet or health related issues.
For additional information and local places to shop for healthy foods, click on any of the following links:
- Boise Co-Op
- Whole Foods Market
- Brown Box Organics
- The Organic Store Locator
From my home to yours, another favorite recipe – enjoyed with nutrition in mind.