Bethesda was a mixed bag last night to kick off E3. While not bad, it didn’t hold many surprises aside from all of the Fallout 4 details. So it wasn’t exactly hard for Microsoft to top that show and boy did they.
Microsoft’s event, unsurprisingly, began with a look at Halo 5: Guardians with various trailers and a live 4-player co-op demo. It then went into a new, exclusive, Keiji Inafune project called Recore, which looked reminiscent of a more realistic Mega Man Legends. Microsoft soon dropped the bomb afterwards by announcing Xbox 360 games were going to be soon patched to run on Xbox One via downloads, or with discs.
Todd Howard came out to discuss some new Fallout 4 details, though most of the footage was rehashed from last night. Then there was the Indies. It was hard to keep track of them all. The coolest of which, like last year, was Cuphead.
Of course a few things leaked before the show, but it was nice to see them confirmed. The Gears remastered collection was real. The RARE collection, which may be the best bundle ever, was also confirmed. Plus, of course, Dark Souls 3 is real.
And the shocks continued on from there. Seriously, Microsoft had one heck of a show and it’ll be hard to top. They far outdone themselves from last year and Phil Spencer certainly has a few more tricks up his sleeve. But enough teasing, here’s everything that happened at Microsoft’s E3 2015 event.
- Halo 5: Guardians demoed their 4 player co-op, followed by a story and multiplayer trailer
- Recore was announced as an Xbox One exclusive created by Keiji Inafune and the makers of Metroid Prime, slated for a Spring 2016 release
- Xbox One will now be able to play Xbox 360 games starting this Fall with 100 titles
- Microsoft unveiled their Elite controller
- Fallout 4 showed off new gameplay and announced PC mods will be supported on Xbox One
- Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2 was announced, set to launch in Spring 2016
- Forza Motorsport 6 got a new trailer
- Dark Souls 3 was officially announced with a trailer
- Tom Clancy’s The Division received a new trailer, also announcing a Xbox One exclusive Beta this December
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege will come packed with both R6: Vegas games
- Gigantic got a new trailer, teasing a Xbox One and PC Beta this August
- A huge indie showcase revealed new footage for Swordcoast Legends, Rise and Shine, The Mean Greens, The Flame in the Flood, Phantasmal, The Solus Project, Westerado, Outward, Goat Simulator, Behemoth’s Game 4, Below, ARK, Recruits, Superhot, Tacoma, Ashen, Beyond Eyes, and Cuphead
- Microsoft discussed Xbox Preview as sort of an early access program
- Ion was revealed, from the creators of Day Z, as an Xbox One exclusive
- Rise of the Tomb Raider was demoed onstage, announcing the release date of 11/10
- RARE Replay was unveiled for the Xbox One which includes 30 games for $30, launching on 8/4
- RARE also unveiled Sea of Thieves
- Fable Legends got a new trailer
- Minecraft was demoed onstage with Microsoft’s HoloLens
- Gears of War Ultimate Edition was officially announced, releasing on 8/25
- Gears 4 was also announced with a live demo, set to release Fall 2016