On Monday night, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson’s little French bulldog, known for his daring puppy antics and not being cooperative when taken out for walks, died after eating a poisonous mushroom, the former wrestler posted on Instagram, reports abcnews.
All attention was on the adorable little pooch less than a month ago, when the newly adopted puppy almost drowned in the family pool over Labor Day weekend. Johnson shared with his readers that he had to jump in and save the little guy, who just couldn’t perfect the “doggy” paddle in time. This time, tragically there were no humor filled statements; instead Johnson bid an emotional farewell:
“Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed.
At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus’ suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil’ paw as he was finally at peace.
As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return. I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil’ family members.
Thank you Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West and the incredibly caring nurses and staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City. We’ll always love you Brutus.. and you’ll always be my lil’ main man and rough housing Brute.” According to PetMD, the following symptoms may be associated with having eaten poison mushrooms. Make sure to bring the mushroom to the veterinarian in order to categorize the type and administer proper treatment:
Yellowing of the skin (jaundice)
Excessive drooling (ptyalism)
Brutus came into contact with the poisonous mushroom while out in the yard playing with his brother. Johnson encourages anyone who thinks their dog may have come into contact with anything poisonous to immediately contact your veterinarian. Rest in peace Brutus; sadly your life had just started and you will never know all that life had to offer.
Follow the National Pet Rescue Examiner on Facebook.