When a pet dies, the owner mourns. When a celebrity’s pet mourns, the whole Internet does as well, and that is exactly what happened on Sept. 29. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson shared a touching photo of his beloved French bulldog who passed away.
On The Rock’s Instagram, he shared the heartbreaking news to his 28.3 million followers that he had to put down one of his dogs, due to an incident beyond his control. Brutus, a tan frenchie ate a poisonous mushroom, and there was nothing that the veterinarians could do to save him.
“Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed,” he wrote. “At approximately 11:15 p.m. last night, myself and @laurenhasianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus’ suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven.”
The Rock warned readers about dog safety, stating, “I encourage all of you out there to mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil’ family members.” He then thanked the doctors and nurses at The Animal Medical Center at Cooper City for doing everything they could to try to save his pet.
Johnson just purchased Brutus over Labor Day weekend — the same weekend where he rescued his two new dogs from almost drowning in his pool. Shortly after that, he had to take Brutus to the vet for being sick.
“We’ll always love you Brutus,” he wrote on his social media account. “And you’ll always be my lil’ man and rough housing Brute. #RIPBrutus #WishICouldHaveSavedYouOneMoreTime.”