Holy hot Doritos! A Doritos warning letter was sent home from a UK school after a 14-year-old ate the spicy tortilla-styled chips – and stopped breathing.
Writes Fox News: “Beth Laybourn, a 14-year-old student at George Pindar School in Scarborough, North Yorkshire complained of a burning in her throat before she stopped breathing after eating the spicy chips.”
The student said she was eating the chips – one at a time – with her brother and a friend. The trio were taking turns choosing a chip and eating it, very much as the bag suggests – roulette style.
In fact, Doritos maker Frito Lay offers no misgivings over the fact that inside of each bag are a handful of chips that are exceptionally spicy, almost to the point they are inedible.
The site writes:
Are you a risk-taker? Do you live life on the bold side? Do you like to test the limits of your taste buds? If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, DORITOS Roulette Chips might satisfy your next snacking adventure. DORITOS Roulette chips offer fans the ultimate game-of-chance-style snacking experience and now the limited-edition “Roulette” bags are in the U.S. Each bag contains mostly Doritos Nacho Cheese flavored chips with an ultra-spicy chip in every handful. With all chips looking the same, it makes it even more challenging to guess whether the next chip you crunch on will send your taste buds sizzling.
According to Fox News, one out of every six chips inside the bag “measures 78,000 units on the Scoville scale – 10 times hotter than the average jalapeno – but every chip looks exactly the same.”
“At first it wasn’t that hot,” the teen said. “We carried on going round and I started sweating and a moment later I felt my throat burning. I started retching and ran to the toilet and was sick. I had four mugs of milk and my throat still wouldn’t stop burning. I couldn’t breathe properly and I really thought I was going to die.”
After the incident, the school sent home a letter to parents, stating:
DANGEROUS DORITOS: Parents and caregivers, please be aware that the new Doritos Roulette crisps are not recommended for children. The crisps contain extra hot chips and it has come to our attention that they can cause severe distress, particularly to those sensitivities, allergies or breathing problems.
Laybourn, who is asthmatic, said she “kept thinking that if it leads to a full-blown asthma attack I could die.”
A Doritos spokesperson said Frito Lay makes clear that this new Doritos flavor is not recommended for everyone.
“We warn people to expect a seriously spicy experience with Doritos Roulette and we make this clear on the pack and in our adverts,” said the spokesperson. “The front of the pack states ‘Warning: Some of these chips are ultra-spicy’, and we also warn that Doritos Roulette are not recommended for young children.”
Still, do you think a bag of chips should carry the potential to send someone to a hospital? As school aged kids will do, they will take the Doritos “dare,” despite the warnings.