On Aug. 10, D23 announced that its Fall issue of Disney twenty-three will be devoted to coverage of D23 Expo 2015, its upcoming fan event. The magazine will provide a look at some of the experiences, news and information to come out of the biennial event. Among the issue’s features will be an in-depth look at Shanghai Disney Resort and the 20th anniversary of Disney-Pixar’s “Toy Story.”
D23 Expo 2015 is an “all things Disney” fan event that covers various aspect of The Walt Disney Company and some if its partners. In keeping with that, the Fall issue of Disney twenty-three plans will provide readers highlights of the experiences the Expo offers attendees.
The magazine’s coverage will provide a look, for example, at some of what D23 Expo 2015 presented for Disney Parks and Resorts. Its focus on Shanghai Disney Resort, scheduled to open spring 2016, will include the concept artwork for then new park as well as some of the attractions being built in China.
The Fall issue will also offer a piece with two members of the original “Toy Story” team who will recount the film’s development. As a teaser, D23 notes the feature will include an “unexpected encounter” Ralph Eggleston, the film’s director, had with Steve Jobs, Disney Legend and Apple founder.
Also included in the Fall issue of Disney twenty-three are the following, most of which reflect experiences D23 Expo 2015 will offer when it is held Aug. 14-16:
- Profiles of the 2015 recipients of the Disney Legends Award – George Bodenheimer, Andreas Deja, Eyvind Earle, Danny Elfman, George Lucas, Susan Lucci, Julie Reihm Casaletto and Carson Van Osten – honored in a D23 Expo 2015 ceremony.
- A look inside “Walt Disney Archives Presents—Disneyland: The Exhibit” with look at some of the items from among more than 300 artifacts that made up the display. Disneyland Resort celebrates its 60th anniversary in 2015, and provided the exhibit’s focus and overall theme.
- A tribute to Walt Disney’s “Mickey Mouse Club, “on its 60th anniversary. D23 Expo 2015 will bring together the Original Mouseketeers to the event for a special panel. In addition, D23 will provide Annette Funicello’s original Disney Legend handprints for photo opps; anniversary merchandise for purchase and autograph signing; and props and memorabilia in the “Walt Disney Archives Presents” exhibit.
- A look at the impact of the Silly Symphony cartoons by historian and world-renowned film critic Leonard Maltin. The cartoons’ significance is to be celebrated in two concerts at the Expo, both featuring a live orchestra.
- The illustrations created by Disney animator Eric Goldberg for Shanghai Disney Resort as well as for his new book “An Animator’s Gallery,” with Dave A. Bossert. Goldberg and Bossert are to participate in the Expo.
- Regular Disney twenty-three features in this Fall issue will include A Walk with Walt, D Society, and Ask Dave.
D23 Members and Disney fans may visit D23.com for more information on D23 Expo 2015. The website will also offer updates on the event as well as recaps of its presentations and experiences.
A subscription to the Disney twenty-three is one of the benefits for Gold Members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club. The quarterly magazine is delivered to D23 Gold and Gold Family Members, the paid membership level, and the latest issue will begin arriving in mid-August. A complimentary membership level is also available.