In a Wall Street Journal op-ed on Sunday, former Vice President Dick Cheney likened President Barack Obama’s nuclear deal with Iran to the Munich agreement, which led to World War II. Vice President Cheney and daughter Liz Cheney accused Obama of lying about the Iran nuclear deal and said that the agreement would lead to the first use of a nuclear weapon since 1945.
The Obama administration has aggressively defended the deal, saying that it cuts off all pathways to a nuclear bomb. Secretary of State John Kerry has said that a better deal simply does not exist. The Cheneys also blamed the rise of terrorist groups like ISIS on the withdrawal of American troops from Iraq in 2011 — a talking point that Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush has also used.
The Cheney’s criticized the inadequate verifications for inspections of Iran’s nuclear sites, the removal of restrictions on Iran’s ballistic missile program and the lifting of sanctions against the regime, which they believe will help Iran fund terror. Republicans largely blame the rise of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) on the Obama administration’s pullout from Iraq in 2011. Former President George W. Bush — under whom Dick Cheney served as vice president — was commander-in-chief when that deadline was agreed to.
Nearly everything the president has told us about his Iranian agreement is false. He has said it will prevent the Iranians from acquiring nuclear weapons, but it will actually facilitate and legitimize an Iranian nuclear arsenal,” “The Obama agreement will lead to a nuclear-armed Iran, a nuclear-arms race in the Middle East and, more than likely, the first use of a nuclear weapon since Hiroshima and Nagasaki.”
The Cheney’s said the 2016 presidential election provides hope that the United States can change course.
The right person in the Oval Office can restore America’s strength and alliances, defeat our enemies, and keep us safe. It won’t be easy. There is a patch forward, but there are difficult decisions to be made and very little time.”
But former U.S. Army Chief of Staff Gen. Raymond Odierno, who was one of the architects of the 2007 surge and a top official in Iraq, has disputed that the decision to leave Iraq was Obama’s. “I remind everybody that us leaving at the end of 2011 was negotiated in 2008 by the Bush administration. That was always the plan, we had promised them that we would respect their sovereignty,” Odierno said at a press conference earlier this month.
The White House has reacted by fiercely defending the deal. Secretary of State John Kerry has insisted that a better deal simply does not exist, according to the Huffington Post, but Dick Cheney believes the agreement inevitably sets the stage for war.
The president has tried to sell this bad deal by claiming that there is no alternative, save war. In fact, this agreement makes war more, not less, likely. In addition to accelerating the spread of nuclear weapons across the Middle East, it will provide the Iranians with hundreds of billions of dollars in sanctions relief, which even the Obama administration admits likely will be used to fund terror.”
Congress will vote to approve the deal with Iran next month. It’s not clear if Dick Cheney’s op-ed will have an effect on the vote, but many Congress people have already openly staked out their positions publicly. According to the Hill, Dick Cheney’s piece went on to criticize other aspects of Obama’s foreign policy, accusing the President of abandoning Iraq and dangerously surrendering U.S. global leadership.