Lemonade is cool and quite refreshing on hot summer days. However, sometimes the occasion calls for something a bit more extravagant looking and tasting. These variations on lemonade, summers delicious treat, won’t break the bank and will stand out from the crowd.
Basil Strawberry Lemonade
1 quart water
1 cup lemon juice – freshly squeezed if possible
1/2 cup sugar
1 pound fresh strawberries
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
1 pinch salt
Optional garnishes : lemon slices , fresh strawberries or fresh basil leaves
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend at high speed for 20 seconds.
- Pass through a strainer
- Serve over ice with optional garnish.
- As an alternative idea, try this as a cocktail, using vodka, champagne, or dry white wine.
Fresh Peach Lemonade
2 peaches, peeled and chopped
1 cup granulated sugar
4 cups water
3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
Optional garnishes could be fresh mint sprigs or peach slices.
- Bring the peaches, sugar, and water to a boil, and then simmer until the sugar is dissolved, about 10 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool, then strain through a sieve, pressing to extract as much juice as possible.
- Stir in the lemon juice, and serve in tall glasses over ice.
6 cups water, divided
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup dried organic lavender or 1/3 cup fresh organic lavender
]1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- In a saucepan combine 2 cups water, sugar, lavender and lemon zest.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Remove pan from heat and let syrup stand 10 minutes.
- Strain and discard lavender.
- In a large pitcher, stir together remaining 4 cups water, syrup and lemon juice. Serve over ice.
2 cups granulated sugar
3 cups fresh lemon juice (12 to 15 lemons)
3 quarts cold water
2 cups watermelon puree (blend seedless chunks of watermelon in blender until the consistency is smooth)
- Dissolve sugar in lemon juice.
- Add water and stir.
- Add watermelon puree and mix thoroughly.
- Serve over ice in tall glasses.
3 cups granulated sugar
4 quarts water
14 slices fresh ginger root
4 cups fresh lemon juice
2 lemons, sliced
- In a saucepan combine sugar, water and ginger root.
- Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Remove ginger.
- Refrigerate lemonade at least one hour, or until chilled.
- Serve over ice and garnish with lemon slices.