D23 Expo 2015, the biennial “all things Disney” fan convention, is quickly approaching. As with previous events, D23: The Official Disney Fan Club has brought back some policies and introduced new elements to the 2015 Expo that are intended to help guests minimize lines and maximize fun.
D23 Expo 2015 will take place Aug. 14-16 at the Anaheim Convention Center (ACC). One-day tickets for Saturday, Aug. 14 are sold out, but one-day tickets for Friday and Sunday are still available as are three-day tickets that cover the Expo’s run.
For guests attending the event, D23 has posted a “Things to Know” section on its website, covering more of the Expo’s policies and procedures: costumes, photography, ticketing policies and so forth. This section also addresses some of the Anaheim Convention Center’s policies, including parking and wifi, which are provided in more detail on their site. Here are some of the highlights of those policies, along with information
D23 Expo 2015: Entry and hours
There are essentially three levels of D23 Expo ticketing: D23 General Members/General Admission (GA), D23 Gold/Silver Members (D23’s paid membership level), and the limited Sorcerer Package tickets (sold out).
- D23 Gold/Silver Members and D23 General Members/GA will have separate entrances for the D23 Expo Show Floor.
- Hall D23, the 7,500-seatt venues for the main presentations, offers one entrance for all attendees.
- Sorcerer Package guests receive their own entrance to the D23 Expo and reserved seating to main hall, Stage 23, and Stage 28 presentations.
D23 Expo 2015 offers different Show Floor hours for different tickets.
- D23 Gold and Silver Members: 9 a.m – 7 p.m.
- D23 General Members and GA: 10 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Hall D23 entrance will open as early as 8:00 a.m. (time subject to change) to all D23 Expo attendees. The lineup location and entrance for the Hall D23 presentations will take place in Hall E. Please proceed to Hall E for access to the Hall D23 presentations. Also, recording devices will not be allowed at select Hall D23 presentations, and a camera check location will be available. (See also information on Overnight Queues, below.)
D23 Expo 2015: StagePass, StorePass, and overnight queues
D23 Expo 2015 In addition, D23 Expo 2015 will again offer the following to help attendees manage their time and lines.
StagePass: StagePass tickets are used to guarantee seating at select sessions at ACC’s Stage 23 and Stage 28, both general admission seating venues. StagePass is available on a first-come, limited-basis, at no additional charge.
According to D23, the Expo’s 2015’s StagePass will operate as follows:
- Visit our ticket distribution area, located in Hall A of the Show Floor, during normal operating Show Floor Hours.
- Choose whichever session you wish to attend.
- Present your D23 Expo 2015 admission ticket to receive a StagePass ticket for your selected session.
- You are limited to one StagePass ticket for one session taking place during 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. You are welcome to return to the distribution line after 12:30 p.m. to receive one StagePass ticket for one later session. You may get StagePass tickets for your entire party, as long as you have a D23 expo 2015 ticket for each StagePass ticket requested.
- Arrive at Stage 23 or Stage 28 no later than 15 minutes prior to the start of the session, with your StagePass ticket, to guarantee your seat. If you do not arrive by this time, your seat will be filled by standby guests.
StorePass: In 2015, D23 Expo offers a StorePass for select shopping opportunities. Like the StagePass option that returns to the event, StorePass aims to minimize waiting times. A very limited quantity of D23 EXPO 2015 StorePass tickets will be available for priority entry to three D23 EXPO shopping experiences: Disney Dream Store, Disney Store, and Mickey’s of Glendale. StorePass will be located in Hall A, near StagePass.
D23 Expo 2015’s StorePass will operate as follows:
- Starting at 10 a.m., and while D23 Expo StorePass tickets last, visit the StorePass desk located adjacent to the StagePass distribution area in Hall A.
- Choose one of the 30 minute shopping experience timeslots, held from 12 – 5 p.m.
- Present your D23 Expo 2015 admission ticket to receive a StorePass ticket for the respective shopping experience location.
- Each person is limited to one StorePass ticket for each shopping experience location per day.
- Please arrive at the shopping experience location at least 5 minutes prior to the start of your assigned timeslot with your StorePass ticket.
- StorePass tickets are valid only for the timeslot printed on the ticket.
In practice, because StorePass allows for a return-time window that starts at noon, D23 Expo guests may not wish to rely on the option for purchasing limited-edition items and collectibles.
Overnight Queues: D23 has introduced a new procedure to overnight queuing this year, as in the past Expo attendees have lined up on the streets of their own accord. While D23 does not officially encourage waiting overnight, the Anaheim Convention Center will be open Thursday and Friday nights to allow the guests to wait in Hall E for both the Expo Show Floor and Hall D23, the 7,500-seat main presentation area.
D23 Expo 2015’s overnight queuing policies are as follows:
- Advance lineups for access to the Show Floor (Gold, Silver, and General Admission) and Hall D23 will take place the evening prior to the Friday and Saturday dates of D23 Expo 2015.
- If you are attending D23 Expo 2015 on Friday, Aug. 14, lineups will begin on Thursday, Aug. 13 at 10 p.m. in Hall E. If you are attending D23 Expo 2015 on Saturday, Aug. 15, lineups will begin on Friday, Aug. 14 at 10 p.m. in Hall E.
- If you arrive at 7 a.m. or later on Friday, Aug. 14 and/or Saturday, Aug. 15, please use the queue at the main entrance to the Anaheim Convention Center for access to the Show Floor. To attend the presentations in Hall D23, please proceed directly to Hall E for the queue.
- For Sunday, Aug. 16, the Show Floor lineups will begin no earlier than 5 a.m. at the main entrance to the Anaheim Convention Center. Please proceed directly to Hall E to attend the presentations in Hall D23. No overnight lineups will take place the evening prior.
- For the overnight lineups in Hall E, please do not bring anything that cannot easily be put away into a backpack or smaller-size bag since there is not a place to store/check items until the Show Floor opens. Please do not leave items unattended.
- A concession stand offering a limited menu will be open in Hall E for your convenience. No re-entry allowed, and all members of your party must be present (no holding space in line for others to join later).
In practice, this means guests that when the show floor opens at 9 a.m., D23 Gold and Silver Members who have waited overnight in Hall E will be allowed onto the Show Floor before those who have lined up outside after 7 a.m. That is, guests will be permitted into the Show Floor in the order in which they lined up.
The ability to queue overnight is complicated by the Anaheim Convention Center’s parking policies There is no overnight parking at ACC, so guests who arrive before 5 a.m. must arrange their own parking in the Anaheim area. Many area hotels restrict their parking to hotel guests only.
D23 Expo 2015: Event information and social media
D23 Expo 2015 Official Mobile App: Once again, D23 will offer a mobile app for iOS and Android. The app will provide schedule information for presentation and entertainment, floor maps, shopping information, photo opportunities. It will also offer updated information on Expo happenings, including StagePass availability. The D23 Expo 2015 Official Mobile App will be available in the App Store in August.
Social Media: Updates and recaps on D23 Expo 2015 will go through several channels, including Twitter. Follow @DisneyD23 for developments and participate in the event by using the hashtag #D23Expo.
D23 Expo 2015: Inside the Anaheim Convention Center
Bag Check: A back-check area will be available in Hall A for the fee of $2 per bag. Bag check will close at 7:30 p.m. each day of the Expo. Any unclaimed items will be taken to the Anaheim Convention Center lost-and-found. The ACC’s lost-and-found office may be reached by calling (714) 765-8950 between 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. No lockers are available at the ACC.
Family Play Zone: D23 Expo introduces this family-friendly area, located on the ACC’s second floor. It will offer seating, entertainment and games. This is a Family Play Area and not childcare services, and caregivers are required to remain with their children at all times.
Food: Guests need not get hangry when they get hungry. Although the D23 Expo has a “no outside food, beverages, or coolers” policy, excepting for special dietary needs, the Anaheim Convention Center will have multiple dining locations open, serving anything from a pastry and quick coffee to mid-afternoon snacks to quick-service food. Gourmet food trucks will be placed in front of the ACC from 7:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. There’s also a small food court at the Hilton Anaheim, located near the convention, and quick food options at other nearby hotels.
Parking: Public parking is available at the Anaheim Convention Center for a feel of $15 per entry and $30 per entry for oversized vehicles 20′ and longer. Vehicles exceeding 40’ in length will not be admitted. There is no overnight parking, so those planning on waiting overnight in Hall E for the D23 Expo cannot leave their cars there. The parking ticket is valid for one-time entry, with no in-and-out privileges. Visa, MasterCard, and cash are accepted.
Tickets for D23 Expo 2015 are $74 for a one-day adult admission and $54 for children 3–12. Tickets for members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club are $65 for a one-day adult admission and $48 for children. Discounts are available for D23 Members and multi-day money-saving tickets are also available on general admission and member tickets. Visit D23 Expo for more information on tickets and the ticket pricing structure for D23 Members and general admission.