You have probably seen those quick recipes that go through the Facebook newsfeed. This last week a recipe for crock pot lasagna came through, and it only had a few ingredients. I decided I would review the recipe for readers of Knoxville Cooking Examiner, but the same old thing happened. I could not resist changing and adding things, as is my usual problem. Sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn’t, but this time the results were nothing less than perfection. I will never bake lasagna in the oven again!
Before you try the simpler, plainer version on Facebook, try my “Doctored-up” version. My husband, whose reactions to my recipes I can read like a book, was crazy about it. He could not wait to get home the other night to get leftover lasagna! Truly, like many other dishes, it was better the next day.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef cooked and drained
- 3 Tablespoons of Minced Dried Onions
- 1 can of mushrooms drained
- 1 large container of low-fat large curd cottage cheese
- 4 cups of shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Lots of Parmesan Cheese in can
- 1 Extra-Large (around 3 dollars) Ragu Meat-flavored Spaghetti sauce
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- Garlic Powder
- Dried Parsley
- 1 Box Lasagna noodles uncooked
- 1 large crock pot
1. To the large crock pot, add 1 1/2 cups of spaghetti sauce.
2. In another bowl, add remaining sauce, onions, mushrooms, sugar and vinegar to the meat.
3. Break lasagna noodles to fit a layer over the sauce in crock pot.
4. Place 1/3 of the meat mixture over the noodles.
5. Spread half of container of cottage cheese over meat.
6. Spread 1 cup of Mozzarella over cottage cheese
7. Sprinkle with Parmesan, garlic powder and parsley
8. Add another layer of broken lasagna noodles to cover cheese.
9. Add another third of the meat mixture. (You can guess!)
10. Add the rest of the cottage cheese.
11. Cover with a cup of Mozzarella and generous sprinkle of Parmesan.
12. Place another layer of broken lasagna noodles.
13. Spread the rest of the meat mixture.
14. Cover with another layer of broken lasagna noodles.
15. Cover with 2 cups of Mozzarella, generous Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and Parsley.
16. Salt and Pepper can be used at your discretion.
17. Place lid on crock pot and allow to cook for 3 to 3 1/2 hours on high. If you have a really new crock pot, you may want to turn it down on low.
This is the best lasagna I have ever had in my life.