These chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes combine two classic treats, vanilla cupcakes and chocolate chip cookies. And it even goes one step further by serving the chocolate chip cookie in arguably its best form – as a safe-to-eat cookie dough frosting. Since these cupcakes are already destined to be a favorite, the recipe really takes them over the top by filling them with a rich chocolate ganache. It might require a few extra steps, but it’s worth it.
The base of these cupcakes is a light and fluffy vanilla batter that is made with both all-purpose flour and cake flour. The cake flour is the trick for keeping the cupcakes from getting too dense, and the milk keeps them from getting dry. While you’re probably used to using standard-size chocolate chips in most of your baking, the miniature chocolate chips work the best in this recipe. Since they’re smaller, the cup of chips will spread out the flavor more evenly. In addition, the mini chips weigh less than standard chips, so they won’t sink to the bottom of your cupcake. While you could skip the chocolate ganache, it’s an extra touch that really does impress. It’s a surprise burst of decadent creamy chocolate that adds to the overall flavor of the cupcake.
While these cupcakes are good, it’s the frosting that makes this dessert truly unique. Just about everyone loves eating raw cookie dough, but you typically have to worry about getting sick from the raw egg. This isn’t the case here since there aren’t any eggs in frosting. Most frosting recipes use only powdered sugar. The brown sugar and flour used in this recipe give it a rich flavor and thicker consistency, while the milk makes it so that it’s still smooth enough to spread on cupcakes.
Chocolate chip cookie dough cupcakes are bound to be crowd pleasers. Make a batch and enjoy with a cold glass of milk.
Vanilla chocolate chip cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk (2% used here)
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips tossed in 2 Tablespoons flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two 12-cup muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- Cream butter and sugar using an electric mixer for about 3 minutes, so that it’s light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each egg.
- Add vanilla, baking powder and salt to mixture. Mix to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine flours.
- Measure out the milk and alternately add the flour and the milk to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Fill lined cupcake tins with batter. You should have 24 cupcakes.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until the tops are slightly golden and tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes in pan before transferring to a cooling rack. While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the ganache and frosting.
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To make the ganache filling, place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan until simmering, then pour it over the chocolate.
- Let sit for one minute and then whisk until smooth. If the chocolate still isn’t melted, heat over a double boiler or in the microwave in 10 second increments.
- Add the butter and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Allow the ganache to cool and thicken. Meanwhile, cut out a portion from the center of the cupcake using a small knife or cupcake corer (like this one).
- Use a spoon to fill the holes in each cupcake with 1-2 Tablespoons of ganache.
Chocolate chip cookie dough frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk (2% used here)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Using an electric or stand mixer, cream the butter and brown sugar for about 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and salt and beat to combine.
- Slowly add the flour, mixing until combined.
- Gradually add about a Tablespoon of milk at a time, while mixing. Beat until fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat to combine.
- Stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- Frost cooled cupcakes.