Columbia yard, garage and estate sales are a Saturday morning phenomenon that brings many people out before sunrise to snap up deals on clothing, shoes, accessories and jewelry. Found in almost every neighborhood, yard and garage sales can be virtual treasure troves for thrifty fashion shoppers. Often, new and gently used apparel can be found for unbelievably low prices and many bargain hunters consistently bring home tote bags filled with designer handbags and shoes. Some have become pros, purchasing both for their own use and for resale at consignment stores.
Plan to start early in the morning before selections are picked over. Carry cash, preferably small bills; most people cannot accept credit cards, and many will not take personal checks. If you’re going with a friend, share the ride, since parking space is often limited. Always bring a tape measure to check waist sizes, sleeve and inseam lengths. Bring your own large totes or shopping bags, since they may not be available. If you’re new to yard sales or would just like to hone your skills, watch the video by Peter Walsh. Some promising yard, garage and estate sales you may want to visit this Saturday include:
- A multi-family garage sale at 118 Hook Ave. in West Columbia from 7 a.m. to noon
- A garage/estate sale at 420 Bonham Rd. in Shandon from 8 a.m. until noon
- A moving sale at 3601 Wheat St. in Shandon from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- A yard sale at 365 Hunters Blind Dr. in Irmo from 8 a.m. to noon
- A multi-family garage sale at 116 Brookhaven Ln. in Lexington from 7 a.m. until noon
- A multi-family neighborhood sale located off Ginny Ln. in Lexington from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- A huge garage sale at 405 Deer Crossing Rd. in Elgin from 6 a.m. until 12 noon
- A two-family yard sale at 3 Mayland Ct. off Veterans Rd. in Columbia from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- A yard sale at 6113 Hampton Ridge Rd. in southeast Columbia from 8 a.m. until noon
- An estate sale at 7933 Winnsboro Rd. in northeast Columbia beginning at 7 a.m.
- A five-family yard sale at 227 Larkspur Rd. in Columbia beginning at 8 a.m.
The yard sale season has peaked and will continue to be active through fall. Listings will continue to appear in this column through the close of the South Carolina State Fair in October. Dress for triple digit temperatures by noon and take along extra bottles of drinking water to stay as safe and cool as possible.
As always, maximize your style and minimize your spending~