In this edition of the college football Treat 16 Power Poll, there were quite a few teams making a leap into the top 10. There were also some title contenders taking bad home losses on Saturday.
The Ole Miss Rebels knocked off Alabama Crimson Tide. While the Rebels made a move in the Treat 16 Power Poll, and the national rankings, they are only beginning their run to win the SEC West. Remember, the Rebels beat the Crimson Tide last season, and fell short at the end of the season. Therefore, they really didn’t accomplish anything yet.
Fellow SEC West foe, LSU Tigers jumped into the Top 10 of the power poll. The Tigers demolished the vastly overrated Auburn Tigers in Baton Rouge. Right now, the win looks like one of the best this season, but it could be a mere blip on the radar if things don’t pan out for the LSU Tigers. Leonard Fournette is the real deal, as Auburn’s defense found out.
The Georgia Bulldogs also had an easy win over South Carolina. Following Nick Chubb’s lead, the Bulldogs’ offense has been putting up a lot of points this season. Sony Michel is also flourishing as a backup running back. However, it was the play of Greyson Lambert that opened everyone’s eyes. Lambert completed 24/25 passes for 330 yards and three touchdowns. If the Bulldogs don’t win the SEC East, it’s truly a setback.
Even though Alabama lost the game to Ole Miss, they remained in the Treat 16 Power Poll. It doesn’t mean they will continue to be in the power poll for weeks to come.
The best game of the week comes between the UCLA Bruins and Arizona Wildcats. The PAC-12 South will be on display in a pivotal match up. The winner of the game will be a frontrunner to make the College Football Playoff.
Here is the third edition of the Treat 16 Power Poll. You can also see the previous Treat 16 Power Poll here.
1. Ohio State Buckeyes: The Ohio State Buckeyes get one more chance before they start getting penalized for lackluster offensive play. The Buckeyes defeated Northern Illinois 20-13 in a defensive struggle. Urban Meyer must decide on a quarterback. Next game vs. Western Michigan
2. TCU Horned Frogs: Trevone Boykin accounted for six touchdowns in the win over SMU. The defense gave up 37 points and 500 yards. The Horned Frogs are currently on a 11 game winning streak. Next game vs. Texas Tech.
3. Michigan State Spartans: Michigan State jumped to No.2 in the AP Poll, they stay behind TCU here. The Spartans handled the Air Force running attack, and moved to (3-0). Next game vs. Central Michigan.
4. Ole Miss Rebels: The Ole Miss Rebels may have had the biggest win of the college football season. They certainly put themselves in position to vie for the SEC West title. After defeating Alabama, the Rebels must avoid a letdown. Next game vs. Vanderbilt.
5. UCLA Bruins: UCLA outlasted BYU by one point. They actually got the defensive stop Nebraska and Boise State were unable to get. Now they commence their PAC-12 slate. Next game vs. Arizona Wildcats.
6. Baylor Bears: The Baylor Bears had a bye week, so there’s nothing to report. Next game vs. Rice Owls.
7. Notre Dame Fighting Irish: Notre Dame slowed down the Georgia Tech triple option attack on Saturday. They also lost another player this season. Still, the Fighting Irish don’t plan on slowing down. Next game vs. UMASS.
8. Georgia Bulldogs: Georgia crushed South Carolina 52-20. Georgia has an easy game before the big one in October. Next game vs. Southern.
9. LSU Tigers: Leonard Fournette ran right through the Auburn Tigers’ defense. It really got embarrassing. We’ll see how impressive it is down the road. Next game vs. Syracuse.
10. Florida State Seminoles: Florida State never sustained any offensive rhythm against the Boston College Eagles. However, the defense pitched a shutout. The Seminoles have a bye week.
11. Clemson Tigers: Clemson’s offense looked sloppy in Thursday’s win over Louisville. Their defense has been brilliant this season. They have a bye week before continuing a big stretch of games.
12. Oklahoma Sooners: Oklahoma has been impressive, but they let a big lead slip in the win over Tulsa. They’ll have time to regroup before Big 12 play starts. Bye week.
13. Arizona Wildcats: Arizona has a chance for their first impressive win of the season. It won’t be about style points if they get the victory. Dare we say, the winner of this game will be in the drivers seat for a College Football Playoff berth. Next game vs. UCLA Bruins.
14. Alabama Crimson Tide: Alabama kept giving the ball away on Saturday. It was their second straight loss to the Rebels. Some are questioning if the dynasty is over. Next game vs. Louisiana-Monroe
15. Texas A&M Aggies: The Texas A&M Aggies started off (3-0) but their SEC schedule starts this weekend. The Aggies folded last season, so this game is so important. Next game vs. Arkansas.
16. Oregon Ducks: The Oregon Ducks scored 61 points for the second time this season. Their defense hasn’t stopped much this season. They face a team in contention for the Treat 16 Power Poll this week. Hopefully Vernon Adams is back for the PAC-12 opener. Next game vs. Utah Utes.