The eighth edition of the College football Treat 16 Power Poll had some major changes this week. Even with the Florida State Seminoles and Utah Utes losing, the biggest story of the weekend was the injury to Baylor quarterback Seth Russell.
The Bears were rolling through another easy victory over Iowa State over the weekend. However, Russell took a shot during one play, and injured his neck. Due to a broken bone, he is scheduled for surgery, and will be out for the season. Russell and the Bears’ offense has been rolling all season. He’s thrown for 29 touchdowns and six interceptions, and was well on his way to surpassing the 40 touchdown mark. Russell also scored six rushing touchdowns this season. However, we won’t know the impact of Russell’s injury until Baylor takes the field again.
Replacing Russell in the lineup is standout freshman quarterback Jarrett Stidham. So far, he’s completed 24/28 passes for six touchdowns. Stidham was a highly touted recruit, and his time was going to come, but he will be thrown into the fire.
The Bears will face three other teams on the current power poll, and they have a combined to lose one game. Offensively, the Bears can rely even more on the running game. They have a plethora of running backs to get the job done, so the offense shouldn’t falter. Shock Linwood leads the team with 974 yards and nine touchdowns. However, he’s not the most explosive offensive weapon on Baylor.
Wide receiver Corey Coleman has 47 catches for 962 yards. He’s averaging 20 yards per catch. Coleman also leads the team with 18 touchdown receptions in seven games. It’s one of the reasons why Baylor has scored more than 55 points in six games this season.
The only question is how well Jarrett Stidham can replace Seth Russell? The Bears College Football Playoff hopes depend on it.
Here is the eighth edition of the Treat 16 Power Poll. You can also see the previous Treat 16 Power Poll here.
1. Ohio State Buckeyes: J.T. Barrett cemented his place as Ohio State’s quarterback. They have a break for Halloween. Then the Buckeyes start their November run. Next game vs. Minnesota.
2. TCU Horned Frogs: TCU has a big Thursday night match up. They may have become the clear leader of the Big 12 due to Seth Russell’s injury. Next game vs. West Virginia.
3. Michigan State Spartans: The Michigan State Spartans continue to have strong fourth quarters. They also have an off week on Halloween. Next game vs. Nebraska.
4. Baylor Bears: The Bears have off on Saturday. They return to the field on a Thursday night to face Kansas State. The road game will be Jarrett Stidham’s first college start.
5. Clemson Tigers: Clemson battered Miami into submission. It was so bad, Al Golden got fired. Clemson is also the only undefeated team in the ACC. Next game vs. NC State.
6. LSU Tigers: LSU has a bye week. Take a breath and get ready for the game with Alabama.
7. Alabama Crimson Tide: Alabama has a bye week. Take a breath and get ready for a game with LSU.
8. Stanford Cardinals: Stanford is rolling. They have a huge game this weekend. A possible berth in the PAC-12 title game could be won on Halloween night. Next game vs. Washington State.
9. Memphis Tigers: Memphis is tied for first in the American Athletic Conference. They still have two ranked teams on the schedule. Next game vs. Tulane.
10. Notre Dame Fighting Irish: Notre Dame had their bye week. Now they are part of ESPN GameDay again. Can they hand the Owls their first loss of the season? Next game vs. Temple.
11. Oklahoma State Cowboys: Oklahoma State is the third undefeated team in the Big 12. The Cowboys get the best teams at home, but it’s the road test they must worry about. Next game vs. Texas Tech
12. Florida Gators: The Florida Gators SEC East title is on the line this Saturday. A win gives the Gators a two game lead with two conference games to play. Next game vs. Georgia
13. Iowa Hawkeyes: The Hawkeyes are the surprise team of college football. They are undefeated, and will likely be favored in every game. Can the Hawkeyes keep it going? Next game vs. Maryland
14. Oklahoma Sooners: Oklahoma answered their first loss of the season with huge offensive games. They must win out to be considered for a College Football Playoff spot. Next game vs. Kansas.
15. Utah Utes: Utah lost to USC as the carnage continued in the PAC-12. Still, the Utes have control of the PAC-12 South. Next game vs. Oregon State.
16. Florida State Seminoles: Florida State took their first loss of the season to Georgia Tech. They are in a must-win situation for the rest of the year. Next game vs. Syracuse.