One of the newest trends in healthy living is coconut oil.
Every few years, or lately, every few months, a new food or food derivative becomes the ‘in’ thing to include in your diet. Recently, coconut oil is being touted as the oil of choice, both for healthy eating and also in beauty products.
Coconut products have long been a staple food of the people living in Asia and the Pacific area. The fruit is very high in vitamins, minerals and fiber. The ‘nuts’ contain healthy meat, milk, juice and oil. Approximately a third of the people in the world rely on coconuts in one way or another and for many cultures it is the main food eaten there.
Coconut is also a primary ingredient in many treatments for a variety of ailments. It is used to treat health problems such as asthma, flu and skin conditions like burns and infections. It is the only tropical oil that contains this high amount of healing advantages. Among many tropical populations, the coconut palm is considered the ‘tree of life’.
Following is a description of some of the many uses for the coconut:
- Kills bacteria that can cause infection, ulcers and gum disease.
- Kills yeast and fungi responsible for athlete’s foot, ringworm and diaper rash.
- Kills viruses that bring on the flu and herpes.
- Aids in digestion and ones ability to absorb vitamins and minerals.
- Also can improve absorption of calcium and magnesium which are essential for healthy bones.
- It helps reduce inflammation and enhances tissue healing and repair.
- The oil is heart healthy and can help improve your cholesterol ratio.
- Works as a antioxidant which helps protect your body from free radicals that contribute to premature aging and disease.
- Enhances thyroid function.
- Can improve bowel function and alleviate the symptoms associated with Crohn’s disease.
- Bolsters and supports your immune system.
- Can be heated to high temperatures and does not smoke. This is why it is perfect for stir frying and sauteing.
- Coconut is pleasant tasting to most people.
- Coconut milk and water works well in a lot of recipes, especially when baking.
- It is lower in fats than other oils.
- Coconut oil enhances hair and complexion health.
- Can help reduce wrinkles and sagging skin.
- The oil helps soften the skin and relieve the symptoms of psoriasis and eczema.
- Gives protection from UV rays from the sun.
- The bark from the coconut palm is used in Western Africa as an ingredient in African black soap. This soap is one of the most wonderful you will ever find but it is just beginning to become known in our part of the world. It is handmade,uses all natural ingredients and is a fair trade product. It is also quite inexpensive.
As you can see, coconut oil is a very beneficial and useful product, as is just about anything that can be found on a coconut palm. Take a closer look into the amazing coconut and you will not be disappointed!