Truly a decadent dessert to experience! Caramel, brown sugar cupcakes frosted with salted caramel icing with flavor undertones of butterscotch is simply hard to resist. The cupcakes turn out very moist while the soft spreadable icing will stiffen just slightly as it sets. These iced cupcakes are a special treat because they are very sweet and should be made for special occasions and must be shared. No matter what type of gathering they are brought to the baker will receive lots of raves from the crowds.
How wonderful these look on a platter or tiered tray set in the center of the dessert table. Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes and try different tips for more colorful effects and an interesting look as the caramel sauce attaches to the icing in different patterns. Everyone who loves caramel, brown sugar, butterscotch with a slight salty undertone will fall in love with this dessert as will your friends, family members and coworkers.
- 3 cups of flour, sifted
- 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2/3 cup of softened butter
- 1 cup of dark brown sugar, packed
- ¾ cups of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons of vanilla
- 1 ¼ cups of milk
- 1 (12-14 ounce) jar of caramel ice cream topping, divided (room temperature)
- ½ cup of solid vegetable shortening
- ½ cup of softened butter
- 2/3 cup of caramel ice cream topping (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 4 cups of confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- Sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350’.
- Mix the flour, baking soda and salt together in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl combine the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition.
- Add in the vanilla extract.
- Slowly add the flour with a little milk mixing until all has been combined.
- Place liners in a muffin pan and pour the cupcake batter into each cup about 2/3 the way full.
- Bake in the oven for 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the muffin pan from the oven and set it aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack and allow them to cool completely.
- Once the cupcakes are fully cooled they can be decorated with the icing.
- Beat together the butter and shortening until creamy.
- Add in 2/3 cup of the caramel ice cream topping and vanilla.
- Slowly add in the sugar a cup at a time and beat until the icing is light, fluffy and spreadable.
- Ice the cupcakes as usual, then drizzle the remaining caramel topping over the icing and sprinkle the tops with a little sea salt and serve.
© 2015 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved