The Cleveland Browns began the process of cutting the roster down from 90 players. General Manager Ray Farmer announced the release of six players on Monday morning including one that Cleveland area high school football fans will be disappointed with.
Wide receiver and kick returner Shane Wynn was the headliner of the group of six who were let go by the Browns on Monday. Wynn, the rookie out of Indiana, is a Cleveland native and played his high school football for Ted Ginn Senior at Glenville High School. Wynn was claimed off waivers by the Browns in June after being waived by the Atlanta Falcons. Wynn was an undrafted free agent.
Wynn caught a touchdown pass in the Browns second preseason game of the season against the Buffalo Bills at FirstEnergy Stadium on August 20 and showed a lot of promise as both a wide receiver and a kick returner. Wynn took to his twitter account to thank the organization for the opportunity and to thank the loyal Browns fans for their support.
“Thank you @Browns for an opportunity of a life time. Will always remember the memories in that stadium. Cleveland you guys show a Cleveland guy. The upmost respect and love. Thank you. I will keep chasing. For sure. Thank you.”
The Browns could bring Wynn back next week and place him on the team’s practice squad, but with his release happening this early during roster cut down week, the move was made so Wynn has a chance to be picked by another team who is in search of a wide receiver and kick returner.
“He made plays. I think Shane got caught up in the numbers a little bit,” head coach Mike Pettine said. “We loved having Shane here. We loved his attitude. He was productive for us. He went out and worked hard every day and made plays. I tell those guys, ‘Just because the door closes one place, hopefully, it can open others. ‘To me it certainly would be open here if we ever needed for him to be back here. He did enough good things and left a favorable enough impression. I think he has an NFL skillset. It just ended up being a numbers thing.”
The decision to cut Wynn also indicates that wide receiver Terrell Pryor can still make the 53-man roster even without seeing any preseason game action so far.
Along with Wynn, the Browns released tight end Anthony Ezeakunne. The Browns terminated the contracts of running back Jalen Parmele, defensive back Aaron Ross and linebackers Everette Brown and Moise Fokou.
With rookie running back Duke Johnson going through concussion protocol, the release of Parmele despite the lack of depth at the running spot is an indication the Browns may bring in another running back. Candidates include Fred Jackson, who was released on Monday by the Buffalo Bills, and former Baltimore Raven Ray Rice.
“I don’t want to get into hypotheticals,” Pettine said. “Let’s talk about people that are here. We throw names out. I didn’t give a name out the other day and now it is I am not ruling people out. We are aware of who is available. I will leave it at that.”
The Browns roster currently stands at 84 players. The roster must be cut down to 75 players by 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday and down to 53 players by 4:00 p.m. on Saturday.