Christmas time is here, happiness and cheer, time for all adults to shop, for people we hold dear. (sing it to the Peanuts song Christmas Time is Here). This song puts most people in the Christmas spirit and shopping mode. Of course shopping for a gluten-free foodie can leave you scratching your head, which is why this gift guide has been created.
Atlanta has a thriving gluten-free restaurant and bakery scene and a blossoming number of gluten-free food producers. Here are just some of the gluten-free wares Georgia has to offer:
Bakeries – visit one of Atlanta’s gluten-free bakeries and pick out an assortment:
- 2B Whole Gluten-Free European Bakery is a soy- and peanut-free environment (almonds) with vegan and Paleo options. Its unique offerings include pita bread, baguettes, focaccia, and calzones. Try their cranberry lemon bars for a special treat.
- American Gra-Frutti’s retail store is located in Roswell and it is known for its inventive products, such as cheese straws (with or without jalapenos), graham crackers, snack mixes (think tricked out Chex mix), fruit cake, and fruit cake cookies.
- Aroma Mill Factory in Cartersville serves breakfast and lunch daily on their freshly made breads, buns, and rolls. Some of their signature offerings include: sweet breads and muffins, cakes and cupcakes, breadcrumbs, croutons, etc.
- Caroline’s Cakes’ launched a line of gluten-free seven-layer cakes earlier this year in four flavors: Vanilla with Caramel, Vanilla with Coconut, Vanilla with Lemon (seasonal), and Vanilla with Southern Chocolate. The cakes, which are baked in a shared facility, are available for online ordering and delivery.
- Gluten Free Cutie started out as a bakery and has morphed into a coffeehouse serving lunch daily and breakfast Saturday mornings. All of its baked goods are free of eggs, soy, and nuts with dairy-free options.
- Good Karma Coffee House is the only dedicated gluten-free coffeehouse in metro Atlanta. All of its baked goods are free of dairy, soy, and nuts with vegan options.
- LisaMae Gluten Free’s products can be found in the freezer section at Whole Foods and include: ready made cookie dough in three flavors and two flavors of beautifully decorated cupcakes.
- Mama Bakes Safe Cakes, LLC serves baked goods that are free of eggs, dairy, and peanuts with vegan options.
- Mina’s Purely Divine has a line of all-purpose mixes and now they are offering baked goodies in their dedicated gluten-free facility in Stone Mountain. Choose from: breads, dinner rolls, coffee cake, cookies, brownies, and more.
- Pure Knead’s allergen-friendly hamburger buns and bread can be found on the menu at many local restaurants. Their breads can be purchased locally at Kroger while their cakes, cookies, and cupcakes are available for sale at all locations of Piece of Cake.
- Sally’s Gluten Free Bakery has two locations (Sandy Springs and Alpharetta) to better serve customer demand and features baked goods that are free of soy with dairy-free options.
- Seven Sisters Scones’ gluten-free sweet and savory scones are handcrafted with all natural ingredients. Stop by and pick up a scone or create a selection of mini scones (sconies). All of their syrups are homemade, as are their bissconnies, peppermint bark, and gourmet croutons.
Chocolates and Snacks
- Caja Popcorn offers freshly popped popcorn in a variety of creative flavors (pimento cheese rules) made in small batches with natural ingredients and nothing artificial. All of the popcorn is available by the bag or in gift-worthy tins.
- Nicobella Organics’ line of vegan truffles are made with organic fare trade dark chocolate and come in a variety of creative and delicious flavors. They are available for purchase direct from the company and at: Tipple + Rose Tipple + Rose Tea Parlor and Apothecary, The Mercantile, Savi Urban Market, and Whole Foods Market.
- Simply Chopped snacks bars are made locally in Georgia with clean, fresh, and delicious ingredients that are free of dairy, soy, wheat, rice, cane sugar, artificial colors/flavors, and unnecessary fillers.
- Xocolatl – according to Zagat Atlanta, they recently opened a “micro-factory” in Krog Street Market, creating single-origin chocolates using super-pure ingredients and flavored bars with sea salt or pink peppercorns.
- Elaine Callahan is the co-author of Fun Foodie Friends, a fun and healthy cookbook designed for kids ages 5-11. Kid Chefs will have fun in the kitchen creating 21 simple, healthy, and delicious recipes. Ms. Callahan is a talented graphic designer and celiac living in Decatur.
- Julie and Charles Mayfield are the authors of three Paleo cookbooks: Paleo Comfort Foods, Quick & Easy Paleo Comfort Foods, and The Paleo Summer Survival Guide. When they aren’t too busy promoting their cookbooks, they teach an occasional class at Cook’s Warehouse.
- Vedam Clementi is the author of “Vedam’s Gluten Free & Fabulous! Recipes From A Southern Gay Househusband.” Chef Vedam hails from Hiawassee, Georgia and wants to teach you how to be gluten free and fabulous.
Condiments and Pickled
- Banner Butter’s line of a small-batch butter is made with patiently-cultured cream from hormone-free, grass-fed cows with no added flavoring. Butter is elevated to a new level with their bold flavor combinations, such as: roasted garlic, basil, & parsley, balsalmic fig & caramelized onion, and cinnamon, cardamom & ginger.
- Doux South Pickles offer much more than organic pickles. Their drunken tomatoes and mean green tomatoes offer a unique experience, as do their mustards, pepper relishes, chow chow, and little rock caviar.
- Georgia Grinders line of nut butters includes: peanut butters, cashew butter, and almond butter in four flavors: original, honey roasted, salt free, and maple-caramel. One bite and you will know these nut butters are like no other.
- Cook’s Warehouse offers gluten-free cooking classes taught by cookbook authors and local chefs.
- Preserving Place offers a variety of classes taught by local chefs from canning to fermenting, to cheese making, and cocktail creation
- Atlanta Food Walk tours take you on a three hour event that stops at seven restaurants serving up Southern and soul food while you learn about its history. The tour leads attendees through areas of Atlanta that are rich with history. They can easily accommodate gluten-free diners too.
- To restaurants with gluten-free offerings: 1Kept, Across The Street, Bantam + Biddy, Bartaco, Chauma Gaucha, Cibo e Beve, Cine Bistro in Brookhaven, Chick-a-Biddy, Farm Burger, Four Seasons, Fifth Group Restaurants, Iberian Pig, Kaleidoscope Bistro & Pub, Leon’s Full Service, Madre + Mason, Metro Fresh, Oak Steakhouse, Osteria Mattone, Red Sky Tapas, True Food Kitchen, Urban Cannibals Bodega + Bites, Zeal Restaurant, etc.
- To 100% gluten-free restaurants: Arepa Mia (two locations), Le Metro Creperie, and Good Karma Coffee House
- To cafes with sweet treats: Arden’s Garden, Dulce Vegan Bakery and Cafe, Honeysuckle Gelato, Lotta Fruitta, Macaron Queen, The Juice Bar, etc.
- To a meal service, like Christophe’s To Go , Garnish and Gather, and PeachDish.
Gift Baskets and Subscription Services
- Georgia Crafted’s gluten-free gift box highlights products from multiple local gluten-free vendors. The box sells for $29.99 and contains: Caramel Crunch and Bubble Bread mix from American Gra-Frutti, Three Bean Chili Mix from Garlic Clove Foods, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies (2) from Ratio Bakeshop and Goats Milk and Shea Body Butter from Opalescence Soaps and Scents.
- Just Add Tea subscription boxes offer a couple of different plans to have new teas, favorite blends, and a jar of honey to complement the teas delivered to your dour.
- Rumson Gifts can put together a gluten-free gift using locally made products, such as: Georgia Olive Farms olive oil , American Gra-Frutti mixes, Phickles Pickles vegetables, and more. They also offer a Georgia On My Mind basket that includes: Georgia Olive Farms Olive Oil, Marilyn’s Cheese Straws and It’s NOT Fruitcake!, White Peach Tea from Bishop’s Coffee, Bloody Mary Salt from Back to Organic, Gift Tags, and a flour sack towel that says “Georgia on My Mind.”
- 18.21 Bitters makes bitters, tinctures, shrubs, syrups, old fashioned tonic, ginger beer, and craft cocktail mix using fresh ingredients and balanced flavor profiles designed to elevate your cocktail game.
- Old 4th Distillery manufacturers O4D vodka, gin and whiskey
- Proof’s old fashioned cocktail syrups produce the perfect drink every time with all natural ingredients. Friends and family will think you are a cocktail producing rock star!
Have fun shopping and supporting local businesses!