The citizens of the Great State of Alabama are not immune to the horrors, pain, and suffering that can be inflicted by evil men. Despite the over zealous measures of Draconian minded liberals and progressives these criminals continue to wreak havoc across the country. No life has ever been saved or any mass shooting averted by Gun Free Zones or No Guns Allowed signs. Criminals are criminals because they have no respect for laws or human life in general.
Alabamians must take measures to protect themselves whether they are armed or not. They must learn to heed the 6P Principle: Proper Preparation Prevents Pretty Poor Performance. An ounce of prevention is truly worth more than a pound of cure. No place is safe from someone determined to cause harm and terror to the innocent. Regardless of where you are you should be aware of your surroundings (situational awareness) and have a plan to Avoid, Deny, and Defend yourself. Putting one’s head in the sand to this harsh reality goes against the grain of our American heritage.
Those who perpetrate these heinous actions seek to inflict large scale death and suffering. This kind of terrorist mindset requires intestinal fortitude in order to survive. Never give in and never give up – no submission to terrorism in any of it’s forms. We must think like a survivor, control our stress and fear, and put a well thought out plan into action after assessing the threat. Refuse to be a victim Alabamians.
Take action today:
- Pay attention to your surroundings – situational awareness is a state of mind.
- Have an exit plan in place. Memorize the locations of emergency exits, stairs, elevators, fire axes, etc…..in theaters, work places, malls, offices, churches, schools, etc…..
- Put as much distance between you and the threat as possible. Evacuate immediately without wasting time gathering your belongings.
- Call 9-11 as soon as possible informing the operator it is an active shooter situation.
- Choose flight before fight, if possible, but be prepared to fight.
- Put distance between you and the threat to preserve your life.
- Create barriers between you and the threat. Barricade yourself for safety and lock all doors.
- Turn off lights, silence phones and remain as quiet as possible. Out of sight. Out of mind.
- Stay out of the line of sight as well as your belongings.
- Use any available hiding place – think cover and concealment.
- Do all you can to maximize your personal safety and security.
- You have a God given right to defend yourself – use it!
- If your efforts to avoid and deny your attacker have failed then fight to survive.
- Be aggressive and come out alive.
- There is no such thing as a fair fight – survive at all costs.
- If allowed to have a firearm; be prepared to use it. If not fight dirty and improvise weapons.
The average response time for law enforcement is around 3 minutes. Once on sight they must assess the situation which takes valuable time from your survivability. Every second counts to a victim of a mass shooter so use it wisely. Law enforcement has no obligation or duty to prevent a mass shooting only to react and investigate after the fact. God bless them for what they do but plan on preserving your life.
Recent examples of shootings in Alabama:
- An argument in the Montgomery, AL Wal-Mart on January 14, 2015 soon escalated and spread to the parking lot where shooting erupted. There several cars were damaged and several people injured.
- Lafayette High School student Phelix Lockhart, 18, shot one Frank Floyd, 20, on Wednesday, May 13, 2015. This incident in a Gun Free Zone (go figure magic signs not so magical after all) caused a lock down of the school. He was charged with attempted murder.
The time for action is now. We all hope and pray we are never thrust into this type of situation. We should be ready in case we are and ensure we survive to see another day.
- Alabama Department of Homeland Security has released a video advising Alabamians how to react react to a mass shooting. It is ironic though to see the shooter in the video walk past a No Guns Allowed sign before starting his rampage.
- Run, Hide, Fight video Houston PD
- Department of Homeland Security web classes
Check with organizations like local gun clubs or BamaCarry for local self defense classes.