If you’re a boomer and you’ve still got your dad, you’re lucky. But lots of us also celebrate Father’s Day to honor the father of our children. If you’ve got grandkids you probably thank their dad, too. It can be tough to think of gifts that say it all—love, appreciation, gratitude, happiness, etc.—without resorting to ties and underwear. Here are 5 unusual Father’s Day gift ideas to consider for 2015 (all less than $30):
1. Stream content from phone to TV. If he loves watching stuff on his tablet but yearns to view it on television (from couch or bed), get him Google’s HDMI streaming stick. Plugs in to any HDTV and uses your home wi-fi network to stream online video, music, photos and more right from the smartphone, tablet or laptop to the TV. Good for Netflix, YouTube, HBO Go, Hulu Plus, Pandora and lots more. You get everything you need for $28.74 on Amazon. Works with most devices – no remote needed. Love this idea. Thanks www.askmen.com.
2. A unique drink recipe – and Scotch to put in it. Scotch in your Bloody Mary? If your Father’s Day guy likes Scotch this is cool. I was intrigued when I got the following recipe—and not at all sure it would work. But it does. Congrats to mixologist Tim Heuisler of Time Restaurant in Philadelphia for coming up with this one.
First, you taste the pillowy cloud of rich tomato, zesty lemon and Worcestershire. Then, embedded like a surprise in the pillow is the deep smoky flavor of the Scotch, and then afterwards you feel the kick of the horseradish (or sriracha if you ran out of horseradish). Give the recipe with the bottle! Thanks to the folks at The Black Grouse Scotch ~$27 for this one.
- 2 oz. The Black Grouse or other peaty Scotch whisky
- 3 ½ oz. tomato juice, Bloody Mary mix (I used spicy vegetable juice)
- ½ oz. fresh lemon juice
- ½ oz. Worcestershire
- Pinch celery salt
- Pinch fresh horseradish
- Squirt of sriracha (if you’re out of horseradish)
Shake all ingredients over ice and strain into an ice-filled glass and garnish with a gherkin, pickled onion and piece of bacon.
3. Chilling swizzle stirrers. Swizzle, stir and chill any drink without diluting it. Made of food-grade stainless steel filled with freezer gel inside double side walls, these smooth-edged Stainless Steel Stircicles won’t scratch your glasses. Get 4 in a pack. ~$23.
4. In-bottle wine chiller. Something to keep a bottle chilled while you enjoy it on patio, deck or picnic. VinOice Wine Chiller is a two-in-one rod-shaped pourer and chiller that holds freezable food safe gel encased in stainless steel (so it even looks cool). Drip-free pour spout has a gravity lid. Good for when a refrigerator’s not handy. ~$28. Both stirrers and chillers from CorkPops.
5. “Green” soy candles – Women aren’t the only ones who enjoy candlelight. And now, guys, you can burn ‘em guilt free. You know how candles smoke when you blow them out? Well, with most wax candles that smoke is a sign of nasty industrial-byproduct emissions from typical petroleum-based formulations. Soy-based candles smoke, too, but not with the same pollution factor. Here’s a complete explanation of the benefits of soy vs. paraffin from the EcoCandleCo.com.
If you want your candle to smell good, try LoveSpoon Candles. Scents range from the ubiquitous, like vanilla bean and rose, to the surprising, like banana nut bread, lemon verbena, lime cooler, cucumber mint, buttercream (!), chocolate fudge, buttered popcorn (!) and more. One line has wooden wicks (metal tins ~$25) that are environmentally friendly and burn with a crackle like a fireplace. More info on the website.