Gobble Gobble Gobble is what we think when it comes to Thanksgiving. Turkeys, cranberry sauce, stuffing, football, and eating until were stuffed to the gills. The holiday makes normal routines become one big celebration in our homes filled with good cheer, family, and friends. While you’re planning that tasty meal remember your beloved family pets because they don’t know what’s going on and the holiday could be harmful to them.
Keep Your Pets Safe
With all the festivities taking place, it’s good to remember the animals and prepare for a safe and happy day for them to enjoy too. Keep in mind food and activities can be overwhelming for pets and keeping it all to a minimum will make enjoying your pet during the holiday more pleasurable. The Humane Society of the United States offers some great tips.
• Leave your pets at home if you’re traveling. Pets do much better in familiar surroundings. Find a good pet sitter and or boarding facility and you can enjoy your family and food with peace of mind.
• Do Not Give your pets any table scraps. It’s tempting, and we all want to do it, but the reality is the foods we indulge are rich in substance and do not fare well with pets. Especially KEEP BONES AWAY from your pets. Many poultry bones splinter and can cause major health risks for your pets.
• Provide your pet with a safe place to escape. Provide a crate or private room where your pet can get away from all the holiday chaos if they need a break.
• Keep your pets warm from inclement weather. If your animals live outside be sure to provide proper shelter and provisions to keep warm in the seasonable chilly temperatures.
• Make sure your pets have proper identification on them in the event they do get lost. Whether you travel out of town or stay local, your pet should always have current identification.
Compassion Breeds Love
Caring for your pets during the holiday is important.
Thinking ahead when things can get chaotic quickly is responsible and exhibits great compassion for your faithful companions.
EPIC Animals Outreach (EPIC) is a newly formed nonprofit in the Jacksonville, FL area, and their mission is humane education to teach compassion for people, animals, and the environment. EPIC encourages people to include their pets in holiday activities, but do your homework and prepare your pets for a successful day hanging with family and friends. Have a blessed and Happy Thanksgiving!
When you’re passionate and committed, you can do anything. Thank you for reading and thank you for sharing this article with others. Please share any comments, story, and event ideas with me at Jessie@myepicwriting.com.