Taking care of ourselves as mothers usually gets pushed way down on our list, but it’s clear that we should reverse the order of that list so we can put our best selves out there and have “enough” to give back to our families and friends.
Some of the biggest ways we rob ourselves in the self-care department is skimping on sleep, nutrition, hydration and leisure and this all shows up on our skin. Our hectic schedules can translate into a haggard look with skin that’s lackluster.
Here are some tips to up your game in both the skin-care and self-care department:
1. Sleep – Get some! You need at least 7-9 hours of sleep, according to the National Sleep Foundation. When we stay in a sleep-deprived mode, we actually begin to build up a sleep-debt that’s hard to pay back. Unplug from all electronic devices at least a half hour before bedtime, sooner for more benefits. The back-lighting on these devices can interfere with our natural sleep rhythms.
2. Nutrition – You are what you eat. It’s as true today as it was the day that term was coined. It’s tempting to run through a fast-food window to pick up burgers and fried fare when we are rushed and exhausted. Side-step that bad habit by cooking up double batches of lean protein, so you always have extra servings of lean beef, chicken or fish to grab and go in a tortilla or lettuce wrap. You’ll feel better and have more energy, too, not to mention the good example you’ll set for your kids!
3. Hydration – Keep a bottle of water with you at all times, to sip on throughout the day. Staying hydrated reduces fatigue, fends off headaches and can help keep you more alert? Don’t like the taste of water? Add a fruit infusion such as lemon, strawberries, oranges to flavor your water naturally. Skip the plastic bottles of water to go easy on our environment. Instead opt for a reusable bottle that doesn’t end up in a landfill.
4. Leisure – Taking time to “stop and smell the roses”, to play or to just sit and meditate is food for the soul. It’s part of keeping our own cups full, which allows us to more compassionate and emotionally available to our families. Leisure-time activities like reading, contemplating life and catching up with old friends is essential to our well-being.
5. Look good, feel good – True beauty shines from within, but there’s lots we can do to support healthy, glowing skin! Using Everfairy Bright On Brightening Cream on a daily basis to help your best self shine through. This amazing, light-weight moisturizing cream helps you rid dark spots and blemishes and contributes to a comprehensive skin-care routing. What’s more, it’s hydroquinone-free and made from the safest organic ingredients. It has a delightful citrus scent and it keeps your skin looking ageless and radiant. Having used Bright On! for a month myself (I received a sample of this product for review), I can honestly agree with the claims the company makes about this product! It’s organic and comes with a money-back guarantee. You can’t beat that!
Take good care of you and put your best self out there with better sleep, improved nutrition/hydration, me-time and optimal skin-care. You’ll thank yourself for doing so!