Winners were announced at the 2015 James Beard Foundation Awards presented by Lexus. During a ceremony, hosted by James Beard Award–winning TV host, author, and chef Alton Brown, at Lyric Opera of Chicago, awards in the Restaurant and Chef and Outstanding Restaurant Design categories were presented, as well as a number of special achievement awards, including the Who’s Who of Food & Beverage in America, Lifetime Achievement and Humanitarian of the Year.
A complete list of award winners can be found at jamesbeard.org/awards.
Highlights from this year’s list of winners include:
· Outstanding Chef: Michael Anthony, Gramercy Tavern, NYC
· Outstanding Restaurant: Blue Hill at Stone Barns, Pocantico Hills, NY
· Outstanding Pastry Chef: Christina Tosi, Momofuku, NYC
· Outstanding Restaurateur: Donnie Madia, One Off Hospitality Group (Blackbird, Avec, The Publican, and others), Chicago, IL
· Best New Restaurant: Bâtard, NYC — Yeah to Drew Nierporente! http://www.myriadrestaurantgroup.com/batard.php
· Rising Star Chef: Jessica Largey, Manresa, Los Gatos, CA
While this Examiner is just about “crying in her cups” that this year’s Awards Gala moved from the Big Apple for the first time since the premiere in 1990 – (miss all that work covering the welcome carpet and the awards and the after-awards gala food tasting — Chicago is indeed a favored “Second City.” And a long-revered foodie destination. Good thing — the Beard Awards will be celebrated in Chicago for the next two years. Sad face…
It’s been reported that adored and respected Beard Foundation president, Susan Ungaro is sharing the food monarchy – meaning she wants to acknowledge the food scenes in other locales. Further, Chicago noted the financial support Chicago extended to the JBF Awards.
But there’s no denying the marquee status of New York – Gotham still garnered most of the winners tally. Celebrate Gotham:
· Michael Anthony – Outstanding Chef: Gramercy Tavern and Untitled at the Whitney Museum of American Art
· Blue Hill at Stone Barns – Outstanding Restaurant
· Christina Tosi of Momofuku-Milk Bar – Best Pastry Chef
The gala reception chefs, consisting of former James Beard Foundation Award recipients, created dishes to celebrate the 25th anniversary and highlight the array of culinary styles and cuisines across America. Gala Co-Chair Chefs Grant Achatz, Rick Bayless, and Paul Kahan assisted with the oversight and direction of the reception, leading the exemplary group of gala chefs as they shared their cuisine with nearly 2,000 guests.
From James Beard: “Established in 1990, the James Beard Awards recognize culinary professionals for excellence and achievement in their fields and further the Foundation’s mission to celebrate, nurture, and honor America’s diverse culinary heritage through programs that educate and inspire. Each award category has an individual committee made up of industry professionals who volunteer their time to oversee the policies, procedures, and selection of judges for their respective Awards program. All JBF Award winners receive a certificate and a medallion engraved with the James Beard Foundation Awards insignia. There are no cash prizes. The 2015 James Beard Foundation Awards are presented by Lexus; in association with HMSHost, the Illinois Office of Tourism.”