Dry scalp can be caused by a few things. One cause of dry scalp is not shampooing the hair enough, which might cause scalp mildew (dandruff). When shampooing use cool water and not hot water for lathering and rinsing the hair. Some individuals with dandruff due to dry scalp, may need to gently scrap away the flakes with a fine-tooth comb before shampooing.
It’s better to use mild shampoos that contain organic ingredients such as herbs, flowers, and oils. You can also add drops of eucalyptus oil into baby shampoo, this prevents the hair from stripping and treats your scalp. After conditioning the hair, pat the hair with a towel and avoid rubbing the towel on the hair. Let the hair dry without using a blow-dryer, you can do this by braiding the hair into jumbo braids and let the hair dry naturally. Avoid hair products that contain alcohol, which may cause dry hair and scalp.
Try and take a 30 day challenge on not eating dairy products, and if you notice your scalp and skin clearing up, then discontinue dairy products for another 30 days or longer. Try and load up on vitamin C instead of dairy items. Dairy items that you may need to take out of your diet for a while: ice cream, milk, cheese, eggs, milk chocolate, and yogurts. Dairy milk can always be replaced with almond milk, coconut milk, and soy milk. But for eating cereals almond milk tastes the best. Coconut milk replaces electrolytes back into the body due to dehydration from sweating or not drinking enough water.
10 ways on how to get rid of dry scalp
- Avoid harsh shampoos (which may cause an itchy scalp due to sulfates).
- Use apple cider vinegar to clarify hair and scalp from product build up.
- Condition hair with a conditioner that contains organic ingredients.
- Wash and rinse hair with cool water and not warm water.
- Let hair air-dry or use blow-dryer on low-cool setting instead of high-hot setting.
- Avoid using hair gels or holding sprays on the hair and scalp.
- Occasionally spritz scalp with a lemon-water spray (only if your not wearing a flat iron style).
- Avoid snack foods and replace with sliced fruits, carrots, celery, etc.
- Avoid wearing hair-dyes and chemical perms.
- Wear your natural hair, and apply an organic hair cream every 2-3 days to the scalp and hair.
Your vitamin C intake include drinking grapefruit juice, carrot juice, pomegranate juice, and 100% orange juice. Also consider taking Biotin vitamins for hair and skin. But first get your doctors permission if you never taken vitamins. It’s a good idea to also eat foods that contain 100% whole wheat, such as breads, crackers, oat meal, other hot cereals, cold cereals, brown rice, and foods made of corn meal.
Make time for physical exercise 3-4 days a week. Exercise helps the blood circulation flow properly, and assists with detoxing through the pores by sweating. Replace the fluids back into the body by drinking Gatorade, coconut milk, and/or 32- 64 ounces of water each day.
For getting rid of dry scalp I use “Whipped Coconut Hair Cream with Shea Butter and Essential Oils.”