Whether you’re traveling across the state or going on a cross-country adventure alone, your experience will be different than traveling with a companion. Sign up for Travelzoo and you’ll receive weekly updates about hotel, airline and travel discounts and bargains, including the weekly Top 20.
Pack light or bring clothing for every occasion, but be sure to bring along these 10 things for your solo road trip.
- A plan. Start your adventure with a plan, but be open to whatever comes your way. Write an itinerary and keep an hour or two open for adventure each day.
- Your camera. Take lots of photos to remember your adventure. You don’t need a selfie stick to get great photos of yourself along the way.
- An atlas or map. GPS is great, but sometimes it’s better to have a paper map or atlas to find your way around, especially if you’re somewhere you’ve never been before.
- Your walking shoes. Bring along comfortable shoes and plan to spend some time on foot exploring new places along the way and at your destination.
- Snacks. Whether you prefer sweet or salty, you’ll save a lot of money by packing some snacks. Having snacks in your car will help keep you fueled up, especially during the mid-day period.
- Your favorite music. Even if your vehicle is equipped with satellite radio, pack along your favorite tunes. Crank it up and sing along with your favorite oldies, country songs or religious music or laugh to a comedy CD.
- A cooler. You’ll save money and time if you pack a cooler with bottled water and beverages. Add a few cold snacks like fruit, cheese and yogurt.
- Cash. Although nearly everywhere takes plastic, you’ll want cash for tolls, souvenir shops and other quick stops along the way.
- Patience. There’s road work and construction everywhere, so bring along your patience as you wait in a line of cars.
- Your spirit of adventure. The most important thing to pack with you is a spirit of adventure. When you’re traveling alone, it’s easy to just drive from Point A to Point B, but it’s a lot more fun to stop along the way and enjoy new experiences and adventures.
A solo road trip can be a wonderful adventure. It’s a great way to explore our country too. Check out the sights as you travel and have a great time. Life is a journey, not a destination.